Saturday, September 23, 2006

A happy post this morning!

Every once in a while I need to be reminded that, in a world full of violence and intolerance, there are things that can make us happy and give us hope for the future. One of these was last night's opportunity to spend some time enjoying an evening of ballroom dancing with my friends. The more important one, though, came this morning.

Shortly after 7:00, our daughter-in-law Tabitha called to let us know that our long-awaited new grandchild has finally arrived! Noah was born at about 5:15 this morning, weighed in at a hefty 9 pounds, 13 ounces, and measured 20.9 inches in length. We haven't seen the pictures yet, but Tabitha tells us that Noah has his sister Marcy's chubby cheeks and his brother Joe's bright and lively eyes.

If you've been following this blog long enough, you know that I think my grandchildren are the most wonderful gift a quickly-aging grandpa could have. There's nothing quite like looking at these beautiful children and knowing that a little piece of me will go on into a future whose shape we can only guess.

Which is, of course, why I am so concerned about the course of international relations and the spreading fungus of religious intolerance. We all want a better world for our children and grandchildren than we had, and that's why I will continue to speak unpleasant truths in this blog in the hope that enough people will read them, think, and be moved to action.

I love my grandchildren, and want the very best for them. Work with me to help make their future one of peace, tolerance, and prosperity.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

No comments: