Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Countdown to Thanksgiving

It's 5:00 AM, the first batch of Chex Party Mix is in the oven, and my checkbook is screaming in agony. My younger son arrives from California in about 4-1/2 hours (USAirways willing), my brother and his family are en route from Florida and will arrive sometime this afternoon, my sister and her family and our Dad will arrive sometime around 8:00 this evening from Pittsburgh, and my older son and his family will roll in from Ohio around 10:00 PM. Final cleaning needs to be done, vegetables need to be chopped and prepared, bread cut and baked for stuffing, and the silverware polished.

We're in the final countdown to Thanksgiving.

This will be my last post until Sunday evening or Monday morning, but I need to take a minute to do two things:

The first is to wish all of my blogging friends, and those of you who just happen to stumble into Bilbo's place, a very happy and safe Thanksgiving. Take one day out of 365 to reflect on all the things you have to be thankful for, and to look forward to the Christmas and New Year's holidays and the blessings of a new year. I have much to be thankful for; if you think about it, so have you. One of my friends sent me an Estonian proverb yesterday that says a lot about the true Thanksgiving attitude: "Who does not thank for little will not thank for much." No matter how bad things look, there's always something - however little - to be thankful for. Use this day to reflect on it.

Secondly, yesterday I received not one, but two blogging awards from my friends out there in the blogosphere. It's nice to be recognized, but it's also important to pass such awards on to others who are deserving of recognition, too. Therefore, with appropriate drum rolls and trumpet fanfares, I pass on the following awards to the designated deserving individuals:


The "Blogging That Hits the Mark" award, given to me by Amanda, goes on to zero_zero_one and noisims, and their blog Cognitive Blindspot. There's always something interesting going on there in a blog that alternates its point of view between Japan and the UK. Check it out!


Serina Hope gave me the "Nice Matters" award, referring to me as "sexy nice" and thereby clearly indicating that she's never had to deal with me before I've had my morning coffee. I humbly ask her to please let Agnes know. But I'm honored my the attention, and pass the award on to John, the air traffic controller/pastor/magician who blogs at Out of My Hat. Always a gentleman, always interesting, and a clear head in a difficult time. Feel good, read his blog.

So now, I have to go back to washing dishes, chopping vegetables, making stuffing, and generally getting ready for the arrival of the family. It's a lot of work, but it's worth it

Come back on Sunday night or Monday morning for the full story, with pictures. And once again, from Bilbo's family to yours, have a wonderful Thanksgiving. And if you don't live in a country that observes Thanksgiving or a similar holiday, take a few minutes anyhow to reflect on the things, large and small, for which you can be thankful.

Have a good holiday. More thoughts in a few days.

Bilbo

7 comments:

NathanRyder said...

Thank you for the award!!!

Have a great Thanksgiving Bilbo, all the best to you and all your family.

I've never really known what to make of Thanksgiving before. I really liked that Estonian proverb you mentioned, I love how little things like that can make you think about your attitude.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you..

Send Chex mix :)

Amanda said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Bilbo. I too like that proverb and while we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, I'm counting my blessings today. I have so many!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It looks like you're counting down to the big event!

John A Hill said...

What an honor! Thank you.

Enjoy your family and your food! Have a grand day.

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving and congratulations on both your awards

Serina Hope said...

oooh, I love Chex mix. I need the recipe. I hope that you had a fantastic Thanksgiving!!