Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A Few More Ruminations on Food

Having finished my morning bowl of oatmeal (prescribed by my doctor to help bring down my cholesterol level), and having enjoyed it's wonderfully cardboardy taste (since I'm not supposed to use any sugar on it because my blood sugar is too high), my mind is back on food again.

As it happens, "ruminations" is a good term to use here, because it derives from the same root as "ruminant," an animal (such as a cow) that chews its food over and over...hence the similarity to turning an idea over and over in one's mind.

But enough of that linguistic blather.

Several of you who commented on my post the other day concerning the book The Omnivore's Dilemma indicated that you planned to read it. That's great - you won't regret it, although you'll never look at your meals the same way again. The book is packed with interesting facts and observations, such as the role of fad diets in screwing up the American way of eating. The Atkins Diet, the South Beach Diet, low-fat, no-fat, non-fat, fat-free, lo-carb, high-protein, free-range ... the list of diets and content fads is endless, and seems generally to do little other than offer the manufacturers of processed foods new ways to reduce your weight by limiting the overall thickness and density of your wallet. Here's Bilbo's Guide to Healthy, Happy Nutrition:

- Eat what you like, but eat it in moderation. Smaller portions are your friend; all-you-can-eat buffets and supersized meals aren't.

- Vegetables are wonderful. The only vegetable I don't like is red beets...I never was able to get past the earthy texture and taste (not that Agnes hasn't tried to con me into eating them over the years). Broccoli, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, carrots, leeks, cabbage - bring it on!

- Fruits are delicious, and are great sources of vitamins, too. Apples, oranges, pears, apricots, cherries - bring 'em on! Fruits also make great additions to recipes: I have a lot of wonderful recipes that use fruits, nuts, raisins, etc. If you want any sample recipes, let me know. It's always good to have limes on hand in case you might want, say, a gin and tonic.

- Fresh herbs are always better than dried, and fresh herbs you grow yourself are much better than the overpriced ones you buy in plastic boxes in the supermarket. We've had our first frost and my basil plants are now dead, but we're still awash in fragrant dill, parsley, thyme and rosemary. Nothing flavors your meal like fresh herbs. And muddled fresh rosemary in a gin and tonic is superb!

- Go easy on the salt - you need less than you think. On the other hand, I don't think you can overdo pepper (Agnes has another opinion on that one).

- I firmly believe, based on no evidence whatsoever, that religious dietary laws (kosher, halal, etc) have nothing to do with what God says you should eat and how you should eat it, and everything to do with codifying the hard-learned knowledge of what is safe to eat, and how - in a time before refrigeration and reliable food preservation technology - to prepare it so it doesn't kill you. For instance, pork is wonderful - but before we knew about things like trichinosis, undercooked pork could be deadly ... thus, it was easier just to avoid pork altogether.

- Dining is a social event. Most of us don't have family dinners any more, but they provide a great opportunity to bring everyone together for dining and conversation. Of course, if the dinner is sufficiently good, conversation yields to what Agnes rather elegantly calls in German das gefressige Schweigen - the silence of gluttony. All that said, Agnes and I almost always eat together (being now a family of two), and very little conversation ensues because we're both reading while we eat!

Okay, now I'm hungry again. Maybe I can squeeze in another bowl of that wonderful oatmeal before work.

Or not.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Ewwww plain oatmeal. That's like eating wallpaper paste! It needs at least a few raisins or something. Blergh!

Amanda said...

I have oatmeal EVERYDAY too. Usually I add bananas or apples or pears. Nothing is worst than plain oatmeal on its own.

Have you tried psyllium husks for your cholesterol? It supposedly helps and I've got my husband on it everyday. You have to drink a HUGE glass of water with it though.

Serina Hope said...

Whole foods. That is the answer. Fruit, veggies, whole grains, fresh food whenever you can get it.
And yes moderation indeed.
I am liking Weight Watchers as a diet, because it helps me to stick to all of these principles. It is like learning how to eat all over again.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I agree with MOTD, oatmeal is a bit like that!

The Enterprise Christmas Party Invitation is now on my Journal!

John A Hill said...

I eat oatmeal regularly. Raisins add a sweet taste and mix in a few crushed walnuts and a bit of cinnamon.

One of the women that used to work here often asked, "How come when ever I talk to you we always end up talking about food?"

Today, we have already talked about our favorite restaurants and various ethnic foods we like. My lunch is two vegetarian sandwiches on a honey oat bread, mmmmm.

Bilbo said...

Okay, you all win - I'll try the raisins in the oatmeal. It certainly can't hurt!

Amanda - I've never heard of psyllium husks for cholesterol...it sounds vaguely sinister. I'll see if I can find it and try it. I drink gallons of water every day, anyhow, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Serina - you and I are on the same track: fresh and natural is the way to go!

Jean-Luc - thanks for the invitation to the Christmas party. I'll definitely be there...time to put on my creative hat!