Monday, September 22, 2008

Comments on Comments

Like all die-hard bloggers, I always enjoy reading the comments posted by my readers. Whether they agree with my ramblings, take me to task for perceived brain misfires, or just say hello, they mean that someone out there in the electromagnetic beyond has stopped by, read what I've written, and taken the time to comment.

Of course, there are gradations of comment goodness. Yesterday's documentation of our family portrait session, for instance, prompted Mike to turn to the Mr Hyde side of his nature and point out "the guy in the picture that doesn't look like he belongs. You know, the goofy lookin' guy in the back row with the glasses." I was saddened by that comment, because I went to great lengths to look presentable for the picture. I took a shower (a whole month out of cycle!), followed Agnes's explicit directions on how to dress, and even wore shoes! Of course, I didn't get credit for the shoes, since they don't show in the pictures, but still...

Then there was the comment from gentle reader lacegem, who referred to the same post as "very wholesome & family oriented." I know she meant well, but it's going to be tough showing my face at the curmudgeon conventions if I get a reputation for being "wholesome and family oriented" rather than "crusty and opinionated." But I'll manage. And lacegem, in answer to your question, Leya was not named for the Star Wars princess...she's a princess in her own right.

John, always upbeat and cheerful, said that we had "Great pics!" and went on to comment that "Some days (most days) it's best not to read the news and just count your blessings." Although I'm not a traditionally religious person, the concept of "counting my blessings" is central to my outlook on life. Those of you who have read my past Thanksgiving Day posts know that my very favorite holiday is the one on which we reflect on all the reasons we have to give thanks...in my case, the list is long enough to justify use of the entire holiday weekend and more. If anyone has reason to count his blessings, it's me (oops...the linguistic purist in me reminds me that I meant to say, "It is I." Sorry.)

Jean-Luc Picard, commenting down the wormhole from the command deck of the starship Enterprise in the 23rd century, described the pictures as "super," cementing his reputation as a diplomatic and gracious captain.

And my old friend "anonymous" noted that Leya and Great-Grandma had the same expression in the last picture. Hmmm...I guess they did. But no one can get Uroma (that's the German word for "Great-Grandmother") to smile like Leya can.

Okay, I have managed to be positive and upbeat for two posts in a row, in spite of the world's best efforts to get me to comment on the unpleasantness and misery that surrounds us. But fear not! The commentary pressure is building and I'm sure I will have my full head of curmudgeonly steam rebuilt by tomorrow.

You have been warned.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

7 comments:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

(insert positive comment to this post here) ;)

Mike said...

Hey, you know I was probably joking and might not have meant it. Maybe.

Time to go to bed!

Amanda said...

Hey! I missed a good post yesterday! I always enjoy looking at the photos of the blogger's families. The first photo is such a loving one. The rest are too but there is always something extra special about an old married couple.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

comments always bring me joy ...well almost always :)

lacegem said...

What's wrong about being wholesome and being nice? I know deep down inside you're really a nice guy. You are opinionated that's for sure but at least you admit it! I'm not opinionated, I'm just always right. I have the shirt to prove it!

John A Hill said...

It's always nice to know that people are reading. I like comments as an indicator much more than relying on the stat counters.

John A Hill said...

By the way, I'm glad that you view my comments as "upbeat and cheerful." I'd hate for you to send yeggs ta whack my machine!