If you've by some miracle been able to pierce all the hot air and carefully-staged buffoonery that have surrounded the Democratic and Republican conventions, you may have noticed what I did: that there are two groups responsible for all the ills of the country and the world:
1. Whiny liberal pot-smoking, devil-worshiping, tax-raising, irresponsible Democrats, and
2. Heartless conservative gun-toting, Bible-thumping, environment-ruining, Constitution-shredding Republicans.
I'm glad we got that all sorted out. I feel better now.
Now, I've been pretty hard on both sides this campaign season - not without reason, to be sure - but I don't like to just sit here and kvetch without offering any better ideas myself. And so it is that I offer this list of the ten major issues facing the nation. In the coming days, I will offer the platform of Bilbo's Reformed Republicratic Party to explain how I think each one should be addressed. Don't vote for me...vote for the party which has a better idea on each one. Good luck with finding one.
Here's the list:
1. Delivering affordable, world-class health care for everyone.
2. Minimizing illegal immigration and reforming immigration law for the benefit of the United States.
3. Fixing the economy.
4. Reforming the tax code (actually, a part of #3).
5. Developing and implementing a comprehensive, long-term energy policy that reduces our dependence on foreign oil, and on fossil fuels in general.
6. Fighting religious extremism at home and abroad while preserving our Constitutional rights.
7. Bringing the rising cost of food under control and implementing a rational farm policy.
8. Implementing a foreign policy that recognizes both the primacy of US interests and the legitimate interests and concerns of other nations (these aren't necessarily mutually exclusive).
9. Reforming the American educational system to meet the needs of students of the 21st Century.
10. Remembering why the Founders wanted Church and State to remain separate (see Article Six of the Constitution, and the First Amendment)...and enforcing it.
These ten issues, which are all interrelated in some way, encompass what I believe are the major problems facing the nation today. Each, taken alone, is daunting. Together, they can appear almost insurmountable. Perhaps that's why the Democrats and the Republicans would rather shout insults and accusations at each other instead of working together to take them on.
Tomorrow, we'll start working down the list with a review of Bilbo's Comprehensive Immigration Reform Plan. If you've been reading my blog for more than a year, you've probably already seen it and can just skip to the next day.
I don't claim to have all the answers. What I do claim to have is workable ideas that can serve as a starting point for comprehensive solutions. Don't tell me I'm wrong...give me a better idea.
And if you just want to go on with the same old snake oil,
vote Republican or Democratic. And don't come whining to me when you see what you get.
Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.