Friday, December 05, 2008

Zipcode's Critical Mass of Bloggers

Yesterday evening after work, Zipcode organized a happy hour for a select group of local bloggers. How she managed to select me, I don't know, but I'm glad she did, for it was a great evening.

Eight people ended up at the table she'd reserved at a DC watering hole: yours truly, Zipcode, Zandria, Brian, Michelle, Doug, Liz, and Daniel. It was a lively crowd, but one in which I felt somewhat out of place for two reasons:

1. I was considerably older than the rest, although I think I cleaned up well and remembered not to drool on the table.

2. I was the only one without the enormous, muscular thumbs resulting from endless text messaging and manipulation of Blackberries to send and receive e-mail. I laid my sad, basic telephone on the table and explained (with hanging head) that I use it exclusively to make telephone calls, never having figured out how to use the built-in camera and being too technologically inept, too lazy, and too cheap to use the text messaging feature. I think everyone felt sorry for me.

Nevertheless, I greatly enjoyed the evening, particularly the odd looks we received in the Metro on the way back to our mechanical steeds as Zipcode entertained us with her recitation of the Achmed the Dead Terrorist routines ("Silence! I keeeel you!"). It was interesting meeting some of the people whose blogs I read and enjoy, and learning a bit more about them. It was also great to have a chance to unwind after a day spent in The Meeting From Hell.

So thanks, Zipcode, for organizing a fun evening. And thanks also to Zandria, who didn't laugh too loudly at me when I almost dropped my card into her drink, being temporarily blinded by her good looks and charm...

Well, so much for weighty thoughts for a Friday. Tonight Agnes and I go dancing, tomorow is Cartoon Saturday, the weather forecast calls for a 40% chance of snow tomorrow evening, and I'm in the mood to finish decorating the Christmas tree and cook up a big pot of Beef Burgundy for dinner tomorrow. Life is good.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

12 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I need a happy hour!

Capitol Hill 20210 said...

It was so much fun!!!

had a blast


SILENCE



I KEEL YOU!

Anonymous said...

It was great meeting you! Looking forward to being able to stick around a bit longer next time :) (oh, and I have a very strict and regimented routine that I keep in order to keep my thumbs in such great shape)

an orange county girl said...

yay! it was so nice to meet you too. and there's nothing wrong with having a basic cell phone. however, i'd be happy to show you how to text. you have not lived until you have texted! :)

btw, the liz you met is OC girl liz, not the other liz. minor detail. no biggie. :)

Bilbo said...

Andrea - let me know when you're in town, and we'll work it out!

Zipcode - not eef I keel you first!

Doug - :-)

Liz - Oops...sorry. And I have actually texted once, but by the time I finally got the message sent, my son (whom I was texting to tell him where to meet me in the airport) had already found me. Sigh.

Gilahi said...

As I so often do, I commiserate with you on the age thing. At the last meetup I attended, I was far and away the oldest person there. I think you may have a year or two on me, so we definitely need to get together at a meetup at some point just so I can feel a little bit better about myself.

danielobvt said...

But you were the best dressed of all of us (at least the male contingent). Pleasure meeting you!

fiona said...

Glad you had fun. Glad I live in Cali or I'd have been sitting next to you with a pink thing in my lug and no clue what do do with it!
That doesn't sound good does it?

Bilbo said...

Gilahi - yes, we definitely need to meet at some point to compare old fogieness.

Daniel - thanks! The pleasure was mutual, and I'll pass the comment on my attire to my wife, who is in charge of vetting my clothes to make sure everything matches.

Fiona - I have no idea what it means to have you sitting next to me with "a pink think in (your) lug and no clue what to do with it," and I'm not sure I want to know. In the immortal words of H.P. Lovecraft, we can only know so much and live...

Mike said...

You (and I) are older than a LOT of people.

Anonymous said...

awww! Blogger meetups are fun! I've organized a few here in my hometown and we always try to hit up local arts events to support the underground art community, or a local band, etc. Good times!

michelle said...

great meeting you!