Saturday, January 03, 2009

Cartoon Saturday

Israel continues to bomb Gaza as Hamas continues to fire rockets at Israel, a rock star's family is planning to auction off his used coffin on e-Bay, actor John Travolta's son has died in the Bahamas, a man suffering from cerebral palsy was accidentally left on a bus overnight in 15-degree temperatures, and there are still 17 days left in the Bush administration.

Thank goodness for Cartoon Saturday!

One of my favorite singers is Nanci Griffith, and one of my favorite Nanci Griffith songs is The Wall of Death, about the ultimate carnival ride. Perhaps she needs to update the lyrics a bit for the latest terrifying ride...

Traditional newspapers are having a rough time from a generation that prefers to get its news in short, information-free bursts from television and the bells-and-whistles-festooned Internet. I thought this recent cartoon says it all...

Perhaps the government regulators who were responsible for overseeing the few economic regulations the administration hadn't gotten rid of yet overlooked some key indicators of the coming disaster...

Earl and I understand each other...

And finally, I wasn't sure whether or not to laugh at this one...which you just know will appear as the subject of a junk lawsuit sometime...

Have a good weekend. When the first full work week of 2009 starts on Monday, you'll need it.

For now, have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

10 comments:

John A Hill said...

Thanks for the weekly laugh! (or is that weakly laugh?)

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Ah..I needed the giggle this morning :)

Amanda said...

LOL! I liked these!

Have a good weekend too.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

They do reflect today, especially the roller coaster.

Mike said...

Coaster - I don't think they can make a roller coaster as scary as the DJ.
Bike - Well I can throw that one away.
Legs - I don't even like to look at cartoons of guys hairy legs.
Earl - You can't fool us. You just wanted to sneak a dance move in.
Bar- I think I know some people that ARE collecting for inability. They have 17 days left.

Damn I'm wordy this morning.

Bilbo said...

John - call 'em as you see 'em!

Andrea - glad to be of service!

Amanda - ditto!

Captain P - this was truly a great cartoon!

Mike - what happened? Did they give you your flu shot with a phonograph needle?

Melissa B. said...

For some reason, I've never equated Nanci Griffith with the stock market, but I think it works! As always, thanks for tickling my funny bone. Hey, I've got 2 other things on my mind today. First off, don't forget Sx3 tomorrow...it's a stitch! And I've got a pretty good chance of snagging a superior blog award...thanking you in advance for your support!

fiona said...

I love Nancy and actually do a reasonable rendition of Across The Great Divide!
Thanks for the giggles.

Mike said...

Bilbo, I tryin' not dis your friends.
Not Islam, Islamic extremists.

And Anon, if you want cartoons, cut and paste this link - http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q="muhammad+cartoons"&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title

I was saving this for a post but felt the need to use it here.

Bilbo said...

Mike - I've deleted the post by Anonymous, which went beyond anything I would allow here. In any case, I think this is a different "Anonymous}...not my long-time friend, who is not usually given to this kind of language.