Friday, April 10, 2009

Because SusieQ Asked...

Because reader SusieQ made a valiant effort to convince me that beets aren't so bad (as I opined in my post earlier today), and because she asked me to post the Chicken Marsala recipe I mentioned rather than e-mailing it on request, my culinary heart has melted. SusieQ, here is your recipe...

Chicken Breasts with Wild Mushrooms, Marjoram, and Marsala

Ingredients:
4 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
6 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram, divided
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
12 ounces assorted wild mushrooms (oyster, shiitake, baby bella, etc), thickly sliced
1 cup sliced shallots (about 5)
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup whipping (heavy) cream
3 tablespoons dry Marsala

Preparation:
Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and 2 teaspoons of the marjoram. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter with 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and saute until just cooked through, about 7 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a warm plate and tent with foil to keep it warm.

Melt the rest of the butter and the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet. Add the mushrooms, shallots, and 2 teaspoons of marjoram. Saute until the mushrooms are brown and tender, about 6 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to a bowl.

Combine the broth, cream, Marsala, and remaining 2 teaspoons of marjoram in the same skillet. Boil until thickened and reduced to about 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Divide the mushrooms among 4 plates, place a chicken breast on the mushrooms, spoon the sauce over, and serve. Dodge hugs and kisses from happy diners.

Note: because we're sauce lovers, I doubled the sauce ingredients. It doubles just fine.

Let me know how you like it.

Bon appetit!

Bilbo

4 comments:

Mrs. Geezerette said...

Bless you, Bilbo!!!!!

Mike said...

I'll fix this blessing tomorrow.

Wv: jaroyeda - The missing ingrediant from this recipe.

Gilahi said...

SusieQ is wrong. As I've mentioned in this space before, beets are what evil tastes like. I saw you throw in the brussels sprouts reference in your earlier post, but I didn't rise to the bait. I know you're just kidding about enjoying those little round, green, vile, hideous bits of mutant vegetation.

Wv: nobar - A characteristic of a restaurant I don't patronize.

allenwoodhaven said...

Unlike Gilahi, I will rise to the bait about brussel sprouts. They prove beyond doubt the existence of the devil, because God would never make such a disgusting thing. Some people refer to the bump in one's throat as an Adam's Apple, but I call it a brussel sprout ejector. If even a small bite of one got that far, it is immediately expelled - forcefully. That should be a rare occurance since the stench serves fair warning not to go near them.

To be charitable, everyone has their own list of "the seven deadly vegetables" but brussel sprouts are on most people's lists.