Thursday, August 27, 2009

One Simple, Quick, Thought...

Senator Edward "Ted" Kennedy died this week after a long illness. He was one of the longest-serving senators in history, and whether you liked his politics and his personal history or not (and I expect many of you both did and didn't), he was truly an historic figure.

My simple question is this:

Will the life and death of Senator Kennedy - "The Lion of the Senate" - get more or less coverage over time than the life and death of Michael Jackson - "The King of Pop"?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, and I'm getting depressed in advance in the relative certainty that I'm right.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

8 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Less, and that's a shame. He had his faults, but he was one of the last senators from either party that gave a flying fig for the poor people. It was nice to know one of them actually cared about those of us making less than $50,000

Gilahi said...

I appreciate the fact that there is someone else like myself who can write a 3- or 4-paragraph blog and entitle it "One Simple Quick Thought".

Mike said...

Kennedy will probably get buried before Jackson does.

Leslie David said...

I agree with your suspicion and it is too bad. Somehow I think Kennedy's legacy of reform and caring for people is more important than Thriller or Billie Jean.

Bandit said...

MJ will continue get more coverage. His death is now ruled a homicide, his death was unexpected, he was younger, etc.
We knew Kennedy was terminal for several months. Kennedy's funeral will be televised, there will be several heads of state there. Time Magazine has put out a special issue for him. Then it will be over.

Melissa B. said...

To answer your question...I sure hope so! And BTW, I'm lionizing TK over at my place today...

Twinkie said...

Michael was like a circus/freak show and that's why his death has had so much exposure. Sensationalism at it's best. Senator Kennedy will have a funeral befitting his legacy. Maybe they should bring up his past and the drowning of that young girl way back when. That should buy him at least one more night of t.v. exposure.

Joy Reed said...

I was sad to hear of his death. My condolences and prayers go out to his family.