Sunday, November 08, 2009

Post-Birthday Reflections

Yesterday, I turned 58 (and yes, Mike, I changed the age in the "about me" section of the blog AND on my Facebook page). There was a time I thought nothing, including the universe, was that old. Now, of course, it looks like a very respectable and not-too-creaky age, at least after I've completely woken up in the morning.

It was a good birthday. Agnes made my favorite dinner of Corned Beef and Cabbage (not the boiled-to-death American version, but the one I like, with the beef baked in the oven and Bavarian-style cabbage. My Ohio-based grandchildren called and sang "Happy Birthday," loudly punctuated with "cha-cha-cha!!" at the end of each verse. Local granddaughter Leya shouted "appy birseday OPA!!!" and very carefully inspected my face to make sure my boo-boo had healed up satisfactorily. It was a good day.

Someone once said that age is a function of mind over matter...that if you don't mind, it doesn't matter. I guess that's mostly true, although it's getting difficult not to mind some of the aching joints and senior moments and such. Nevertheless, I guess I'll try to hold to Jimmy Buffett's philosophy of growing older, but not up. And as George Burns said, "You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."

Thanks to all of my friends out there in the Blogosphere who sent birthday wishes via comments here or on Facebook. Knowing you, even if it's only electron-deep, has made the last few years more interesting and educational. Perhaps I can actually meet a few more of you in the coming year ... John may make it to DC to watch the Nationals lose (it's a DC tradition, which the Redskins are embracing this year, too), Mike may build a house here (hopefully without falling off), Fiona may enter the Washington International Horse Show, Amanda might make it to the East Coast on her next trip to the US (although with two children soon, it would be quite an adventure), and Andrea might make it to a concert in the area (or we'll drive past her house on the way to Pittsburgh and stop for a picture). And who knows ... Gilahi and I may even have a beer together. Stranger things have happened.

So happy birthday to me - my family and friends, real and virtual, are the best gifts I could have.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

12 comments:

Bandit said...

Happy Birthday!

Mike said...

When you retire you can get that camper and come visit all of us! I've got a spot picked out on the driveway just for you.

I've also set up an appointment for you with Red Green to get some pontoons duct taped to the camper so you can get to Amanda.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

hope your birthday was a good one.

Mrs. Geezerette said...

Happy Birthday, Bilbo. Now is a good year to stop counting. Consider yourself ageless from this point forward...and get yourself some of that Glucosamine for your joints. It is great stuff.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Glad you had a good one :) Are you near the Wolf Trap? I've always wanted to go to a concert there.

John A Hill said...

Oh how I would love to make it to a National's ballgame. It's on my list!

Amanda said...

I'll make it there one day.....

lacochran said...

Happy birthday!

bozoette said...

Sounds like a great birthday - I get there myself in January.

Gilahi said...

Happy Birthday! Name the time and the place and I'll buy at least the first round.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bilbo!

This is not for attribution, of course, because I am not authorized to speak on behalf of anyone, anywhere, anytime.

And if you don't think so, ask my wife.

Eminence Grise

Leslie David said...

It sounds like a great birthday!