Saturday, February 06, 2010

Cartoon Saturday

The DC-Maryland-Northern Virginia area is in the middle of being hammered by a monster snowstorm; the Tea Party convention is generating lots of top-quality hot air that could be used to help melt the snow across the eastern seaboard; a group of well-meaning but clueless dumbasses has been arrested in Haiti on a charge of kidnapping children; the Chinese government threw another hissy fit on Friday in response to President Obama's planned meeting with the Dalai Lama; and did I mention the snow?

It's a good day to stay inside and let Cartoon Saturday keep you warm.

I'm going to keep this approach in mind when the time comes to dig out and defrost our cars. Probably sometime in May, the way it looks now ...

It's not a cartoon, strictly speaking, but I'm ordering a gross of cases of this for Congress. It's a start ...

The snow we're getting now is very wet, heavy stuff, perfect for bringing down trees and power lines ... and making snowmen ...

I just liked this one...

Years ago, Pittsburgh radio personality Rege Cordic did a skit in which he broadcast the play-by-play from the gladiator fights in ancient Rome ("And Ludicrous is down...and here's the count: I ... II ... III ... IV ...!"). Here's another clever spin on Roman Numerals ...

This cartoon goes back a long time (some of you may recognize former President Reagan and remember his colon surgery), but it's still ... sadly ... about as good a commentary as I've seen in a long time ...

And finally, for all you guys out there ...

If you're in the Big Snow area, good luck. Stay off the roads, stay warm, and think thoughts of Summer ... I'm sure it'll be here in another eight months or so.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

allenwoodhaven said...

Good luck riding out the storm and digging out. In the meanwhile, there is something very comforting to be inside warm and dry while the snow piles up outside. (That is as long as you have power and supplies to get through it.)

I lived in NY and MA for most of my life and now am in NJ. I actually miss having more snow around. Of course being used to the snow helps a lot. The further south one goes, the less people seem to know how to handle it. Unfortunately, that puts you in dangerous territory.

My suggestion for Congress is to make all the elected officials stay in the Capitol building then plow all the snow around it so they can't get out for weeks if not months. Then perhaps they'd get some real work done!

Debbie said...

Re: Reagan cartoon, update. Our local hospital now has a Patient Information Channel for those who do not want to pay $9 a day for TV. For breakfast you can watch fat people having heart attacks and by dinner they are showing heart surgery for your viewing pleasure.
Stay warm and healthy my friend. Hope Agnes can get a flight out soon to see her family!

Mrs. Geezerette said...

I really admire Haiti, with its corrupt govt., for going after those evil missionaries rather than waste their valuable time and resources rounding up over 4000 prisoners (murderers, rapists, thieves) that escaped as a result of the earthquake.

Haiti is a lot safer now that this gang of young Baptist do-gooders are in jail sleeping on the concrete floor.

Hope you are able to weather the snow. Button up your overcoat.

Mike said...

The car door defrosting solution solution also has a higher salt content than just hot water to help the defrosting.

And the rose petal thing? That's about on par with a vacuum cleaner for a Christmas present. (I know a guy that did that)(NOT ME!)

And I don't mind shoveling snow. We had a few inches last night but by the time I got up It was all melted off the driveway and sidewalk. Damn. ... Hey! Send me an airline ticket and I'll come out ther and help yo.... OH wait, you don't have any air service right now do you?

The Mistress of the Dark said...

The IV toon is the best. I tried to shovel today, but gave up.. I did the steps and part of the sidewalk, but then I said the hell with it and came back inside.