Tuesday, March 23, 2010

From Health Care to Immigration Reform

The fun never stops here in Disneyland on the Potomac...we've no sooner gotten through the flailing agony of health care reform (sort of) than thousands of people descended on Washington to demand immigration reform. Rant alert ... stand by ...

In the political context of most "immigration reform" demonstrators, the term refers to changes which will legitimize the tens of millions of immigrants who have come to the US for understandable reasons...but in willful violation of the law. Radio and TV are full of stories of separated families and heartbreak caused by the Big, Bad, Nasty Government that - gasp! - expects people to obey the law. Can you imagine?

What is it that people don't understand about illegal? Why use the genteel weasel-expression "undocumented" when what we really mean is "illegal" or "criminal"? In the words of Ellen Ripley in the classic science fiction thriller Aliens, "Did IQ's just drop sharply while I was away?"

You can read my proposal for immigration reform (first proposed in September, 2008) here. I have sent copies of it to the President and to my Senators and Representatives. And it's been ignored. Go figure.

I am descended from immigrants who came to this country - legally - many years ago. It's way past time for Congress to reform our immigration laws ... but immigration reform doesn't mean reward people who have broken the law.

Read my proposal and let me know what you think. If you'd like a copy of it, let me know and I'll e-mail one to you. And if you agree, send it to your elected reprehensives with your endorsement.

Then you, too, can be ignored as Congress pussyfoots around and kowtows to certain blocks of voters.

I wonder if my health insurance covers the high blood pressure I'm getting over this issue.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

3 comments:

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

(2 typos fixed)

I went back and read the 2008 post. I saw that I commented. You didn't understand my comment. 'I' don't know what I was getting at. It must have been a reference to a previous post. It must have been funny to me .... at the time.

Wv: wareho - A lady of the night that works the warehouse district.

Mrs. Geezerette said...

I went back and read your immigration reform ideas. Most of it sounds good to me except for the following:

Second, change the citizenship laws to state that children born within the United States obtain automatic citizenship only if both parents are US citizens. This will help reduce the problem of sham marriages and “anchor children” used to establish legal residency for people otherwise here illegally.

I could not support this part at all.