Sunday, September 12, 2010

Not-Much Sunday

It's a gloomy, cool, rainy day here in Northern Virginia, and I am low on energy, both physical and intellectual. Therefore, I will just toss together a potpourri of disjointed observations and comments to fill up the space until tomorrow when - hopefully - I will be more alert.

1. I've been looking on Craig's List for a free-lance sorcerer/sorceress to put and enormous curse on the person who shut down the entire Capitol Beltway at I-66 last night for some sort of non-evident construction. It turned our joy at the quick escape from the Wolf Trap parking lot into much teeth-grinding misery as we crawled along I-495, then tried to see the small and carefully-hidden detour signs back to 495 once we'd been diverted off onto I-66. If Dante were alive today, he'd create a special circle of Lower Hell for the individual responsible for this.

2. Here is a picture from last night's performance at Wolf Trap of The Return of the King with live orchestra and chorus...

Sorry, but this was the best my poor iPhone camera could do in low light. Just wanted to give you an idea of the great seats we had. It was a tremendous show - I love the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy in general, but the presentation with live music and chorus took it to a whole new level. If you have a chance to see the films presented this way, by all means, do it. And if you can, do it in the company of two beautiful ladies and a bottle of wine, after a nice planked salmon dinner.

3. I need to get my hair cut today. This is an ever-frustrating ritual because the people at the Hair Cuttery insist on using black drapes to catch the falling hair, and gray hair shows up embarrassingly well against black. Sigh. I guess I shouldn't complain, though. At least I still have my hair. Well, most of it, anyhow.

4. I couldn't wait until next Cartoon Saturday to share this cartoon that appeared in today's paper ...

I think Jean-Luc will appreciate it especially.

I guess that's all for now. Sorry for the disjointed and probably unsatisfying post, but I just can't be both handsome and intellectually witty every day...some days you just have to take one or the other.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I had a giggle over the Tsar Trek in the paper today as well.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A good one here, Bilbo. Thanks for posting it.

Mike said...

We have some highways shut down for the whole weekend around here.

Amanda said...

I'm still looking out for that sort of movie/live orchestra presentation over here. Haven't come across any yet.

KathyA said...

Last year I drove back and forth from Fairfax every day for about a week. It amazed me that no matter what time I left there, the Capitol Beltway was always a mess. I'd sit there with no where to go for hours. One day, in tears, and after sitting there for over an hour, I called my husband to tell him I had found Hell. It's name is 495!!