Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Phoney Baloney

Today is the day that Apple is expected to unveil the all-new, improved, latest, greatest model of its wildly popular iPhone, expected to be called the ... wait for it ... iPhone 5. It seems like only yesterday that Agnes and I went home from the Apple Store with our brand-spanking new iPhone 3GS's. The new iPhone is expected to feature 750,000 megapixel front, rear, top, bottom, and side cameras, electronic messaging, radar, sonar, GPS, MSG, and PDQ. It parallel parks itself. It slices and dices, plays games, scans funky pixillated images, and raises the dead. And you can even make phone calls with it.

Will wonders never cease?

I remember a time when you used a telephone to talk to other similarly-equipped people in distant locations. It weighed 30 pounds, sat on the desk or table, and a straight wire connected the telephone body to a wall socket, while a tightly-curled wire of insufficient length connected the receiver to the body. If you wanted to pace while you were on the phone, you had to buy a long enough set of wires, and carry the telephone body (a heavy little sucker made of indestructible bakelite) in one hand and the receiver in the other.

Now, of course, telephones aren't just for communicating by voice - they are multifunctional devices which allow you to annoy people within a wide radius by sharing your most intimate conversations at high volume while simultaneously taking their pictures and surfing the net. Sort of like a twenty-first century party line. Mike will remember what that is.

Whatever happened to the good old telephone? There was a time when you could defend yourself against attack in your home by smacking an intruder with a 30-pound bakelite telephone. With a four-ounce cell phone, not so much. When you wanted privacy, you dragged the entire phone at the end of its 40-foot cord into the bathroom and shut the door.

If I want to take a picture, I can use my trusty Canon. If I want to surf the net, I have my iMac (with a 24-inch screen) and my laptop (with a 17-inch screen) ... I'm getting too old to squint at a teeny little 4-inch screen on a cell phone. If I want to play games, I can haul out the Yahtzee, Monopoly, or Scrabble boxes.

So ...

The Luddite in me is grumpily scowling at the introduction of a fancy new iPhone, while the tech aficionado in me is salivating like Pavlov's dogs at the thought of the same toy.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an iPhone that just ... well ... made phone calls? Of course, that would defeat the purpose of the whole thing, wouldn't it?

I think I'll wait for the new iPhone 6, which is already rumored to include a Swiss Army option that also provides a screwdriver, corkscrew, chainsaw, and - for inner-city use - 9mm pistol with 15-round magazine ...

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

8 comments:

Wabbit said...

Don't worry. It's also supposed to be exclusive to Sprint for the first 6 months with a special new version of the iPhone 4 for those on AT&T and Verizon.

So sorry to hear that you have all of those Apple devices. My mental image of you is now just a tiny bit tarnished. :(

By the way, I couldn't drag the home phone into the bathroom because a) my sister was always locked in there and b) it was wall-mounted in the kitchen, making privacy impossible in the Weyman home. My mother could hear what you were thinking anyway.

allenwoodhaven said...

I remember, years ago in the days before cell phones, my brother came to visit and wanted to check his work voice mail. I pointed out the phone to him and he asked "what's this?!". It was an old rotary dial phone which I hadn't replaced because it still worked. That may have been the first time he called me a Luddite but it wasn't the last.

As a teenager, my parents put a 20 foot long cord on the reciever so we could duck into the broom closet for private calls. It was a good decision with 4 teens in the house!

Amanda said...

I don't have any sort of iPhone because I don't need that extra distraction. As it is, all the other devices at home distract me from my kids so when I'm out, I like it that there is no way for me to check my email or read the latest news or play a game .....

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Aah, the curmedeogon in me loves the old phone with the short cord that made me have to talk low and in pig latin so my parents had no idea (or so I thought) what I was saying. I sadly remember the party line too. When we got a private line it was all this excitment in our home! Boy I'm an old shit aren't i?

I have to go get my walker now.

Chrissy said...

Speaking of guns...did you happen to hear that Ohio changed their gun laws to allow concealed weapons in bars, hotels, restaurants, etc?

For some reason, I'm excited to hear your opinion on this one :)

Mike said...

Party lines? You talkin' 'bout 2 party, 4 party, 8 party or 16 party lines?

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Even with us garden variety cell phone users, the provider is always ready to sell us upgrades or extensions to our plans. They really don't want us to use them for very long. Planned obsolescence in excelsis.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I have a low grade smart phone..and truly...I think they are a waste of time..and iphone a waste of a lot of money. Smartphones are the phone companies' way of sucking more money out of you for data plans.