Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Creative Insults

I found this interesting article by Brian Palmer on Slate.com yesterday: "When Did "Douche" Become an Insult, and What Exactly Does It Mean?" Mr Palmer writes,

"There’s some support for douche as simply a nonspecific term of disparagement, much like its fellow d-words dick, dillweed, and dipshit. In a 2009 New York Times article about the surging popularity of douche in sitcoms, a writer for the show Community said, 'You’re always reaching for a more potent way to call somebody a jerk.'"

A more potent way to call someone a jerk. I love it.

As the level of civility in social and political discourse continues to decline (see Limbaugh, Rush), it is becoming more and more difficult to find new and creative ways to slam those who hold political and/or religious beliefs you don't like. After all, anyone can use trite expressions like #%$@!, ^&#%%#!, and the ever-popular $*!!!$%#&!, but if you want to separate yourself from the Great Unwashed, you need to get more inventive. As you know, my current favored term of disparagement is ass clown (see Limbaugh, Rush), and I have designated eight Ass Clowns of the Week/Month/Year thus far in this space ... but it's always good to have other verbal body slams for those times when the usual insults just don't seem to be good enough.

The Shakespearean Insult Generator is available for use when you just don't have time to think up something on your own, and you can even get more creative with the trusty word douche or it's variant, douchebag, as in the following:

In any case, it's always good to have interesting and erudite ways to put down the ass clowns of the world, because not everyone appreciates the intentionally foul and vulgar ...

So, get out there and be creative, thou craven, bat-fouling measle!

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

P.S. - Today marks my 1,984th post ... we're closing in on the magic 2,000 number, as well as on my sixth Blogoversary (coming up this Thursday). I'm looking for inspiration - does anyone have a topic on which they'd like to have ol' Bilbo expound upon in that magical milestone post? Leave a comment or send an e-mail to der(underscore)blogmeister(at)yahoo(dot)com and let me know. Otherwise, you'll have to take what you get. So there.

B.

6 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

My Maw-Maw used to say that those who call a spade a spade are fit only to use one. I personally favor asshat to include those uberjerks.

Ass clown is not as deep as a well, nor as wide as a church door; but it is enough, it will suffice.

eViL pOp TaRt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Hear me now thou saucy full-gorged arm-licker. Post anything you want. (OK is was foot-licker but I corrected it.)

allenwoodhaven said...

I've always liked "idiots and phillistines!"

As for a topic, how about your favorite things?

Does the number of your posts include guest posters like Nessa?

Bilbo said...

Angelique - I think I would have liked your Maw-Maw. And while I've heard asshat used frequently, I'm not quite sure it carries the gravitas of ass clown.

Mike - you know me entirely too well. Well-played!

Banana Oil - "Remove thy ass hence." I have just got to use that expression!

Alan - "idiots and philistines" is a good expression. I'm also partial to "odious buffoons" and "foul blackguards." I've talked before about some of my favorite things, but not for a while, so I'll put that in the hopper. And yes, I'm taking credit for Nessa's posts - we work as a team...I just don't drool on the keyboard as much.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Odius buffoons will serve nicely for most work-related occasions. Politics deserves a stronger reference to jerkhood.