Monday, December 31, 2012

Ready to Pull the Handle on 2012?


I am.

But first, here are some of the good things that happened this year:

- Our sixth grandchild, Ava, was born in November. Her expression says it all.


- Agnes and I celebrated our 30th anniversary in September.


- We sailed through the Panama Canal.

- I am still alive and healthy and have lots of good friends.

- Agnes has not yet strangled me in my sleep*.

Here are some of the less-good things that happened this year:

- One of the most dispiriting and embarrassing presidential election campaigns ever.

- A Congress more intent on political posturing and ideological purity than on doing its job is poised as of this writing to drive the country back into recession ...


... and is doing nothing but accusing everyone else of being the problem.


- In spite of horrible mass murders committed by crazy people with guns, some people insist that the solution to the problem is ... more guns!**



- I discovered that Verizon will charge me $34.99 to buy a replacement Battery Back-Up Unit (BBU) for my Optical Network Terminal (ONT)***. OMG.

- Etc, etc, etc.

And so, Dear Readers, let us hope - against all indications to the contrary - that 2013 will be a better year. It will no doubt suck economically for most of us, thanks to our useless, gridlocked, head-up-the-wazoo Congress, although there may be a few bright spots if we look hard enough for them. I promise to try to look, but first things first ... so long, 2012!


Last, but not least ...

Don't forget that you have only a few hours left to cast your votes for the 2012 Ass Clown of the Year ... balloting closes at 11:59 tonight. You can vote (Chicago Rules****, remember!) by leaving a comment, or on Facebook (if you're one of my friends there), or by e-mail to der_blogmeister(at)yahoo(dot)com.  Don't delay - only 18 hours to go!

The Ass Clown of the Year for 2012 will be announced in this space tomorrow.

Have a good day. If you are going out to celebrate tonight, please do it safely.  Drink all you want (God knows 2012 has given you sufficient reason), but don't drink and drive. I want to see all of you back next year.

More thoughts tomorrow. And the day after. And the day after that. You've been warned.

Bilbo


* Although likely not for want of provocation.

** Does packing heat contribute to global warming? If so, so long to the ice caps.

*** While this does not rise to the level of yuckiness of the others, it still pisses me off.

**** Chicago Rules means that you can vote as many times as you like, for as many candidates as you like. You can also cast votes for your friends and family, living and dead, and for your pets, imaginary friends, and pretty much anyone else you like. Gerrymandering does not apply.

8 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Ava is so cute, and what a darling expression she has!

I hope that 2013 will be a great year for you, Bilbo!

Big Sky Heidi said...

Have a great 2013, Bilbo!

Ava is adorable. She makes up for the bad events in 2012.

Duckbutt said...

I'm ready to pull the plus on this one. I hope we avoid the fiscal cliff, but not hopeful.

John A Hill said...

Happy New Year!

Mike said...

2013 HAS to be better. Doesn't it?

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I will be happy to flush 2012 down the toilet!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

I hope 2013 is better. I'll go in it with limited expectations.

allenwoodhaven said...

I have to get my last votes in; I love Chicago rules!

I talked to some neighbors. Their votes are:
4 for Wayne LaPierre
5 for Iowa Supreme Court
2 for the entire federal government.

My own votes are:
1 for Wayne LaPierre
1 for GOP
2 for Iowa Supreme Court.

Thanks for the voting opportunities Bilbo. I understand you not letting me vote for every woman in the country (minus the 15 %)but I wish I could...

Happy New Year!