Sunday, April 13, 2014

Poetry Sunday


This has been the sort of absolutely glorious weekend (weather-wise) that we don't get all that often here in NoVa. Yesterday my daughter and I took Leya and Elise into DC to see the cherry blossoms (now at their spectacular peak) and enjoy the Japanese street festival, and in addition to allowing the girls to have a fun time, it gave their grandfather a chance to see all the beautiful ladies who've spent the last few months hiding themselves under multiple layers of heavy clothes. And with that introduction ...

Gavin Ewart was a British poet noted for his witty and humorous commentaries on human behavior. Many of his poems were irreverently erotic, and this led to one of his his books - The Pleasures of the Flesh - being banned from sale in the shops of British retailer W. H. Smith. This somewhat racy poem by Mr Ewart seemed appropriate for this weekend's glorious weather ...

Young Blondes
by Gavin Ewart

A religious poem

Young blondes are tempting me day and night.
Young blondes in dreams trouble my restless sight.

With curly heads they rampage through my thoughts,
Full-bosomed in their sweaters and their shorts.

Or lie sunbathing on an impossible beach
Naked, aloof, continually out of reach.

On the mind's promenade, above the rocks,
Young blondes go sauntering by in cotton frocks

Or flatter cameras with their negligent poses
Or drenched in moonlight gather midnight roses.

While I am eating, smoking, working, talking
Through long romantic gardens they are walking.

Protect me, Lord, from these desires of flesh,
Keep me from evil, in Thy pastures fresh,

So that I may not fall, by lakes or ponds,
Into such sinful thoughts about young blondes!


As comedian Sam Levenson once said, lead us not into temptation ... just tell us where it is and we'll find it.

Have a good day. Watch out for blondes. And brunettes. And especially redheads. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I enjoyed the poem, vain blonde temptress that I am! You have posted three winners in a row for Poetry Sunday, Bilbo!

Big Sky Heidi said...

I'm going to dye my hair blonde.

Mike said...

"Into such sinful thoughts..."

And then came the Internet.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

That's definitely a religious poem for a Sunday. In another two weeks or so we'll see our girls In bikinis in Huntsville!

I like Spring.

Kristen Drittsekkdatter said...

Did he write one also about young brunettes?

Bilbo said...

Angel - blonde temptress, perhaps. But surely not vain!

Heidi - please be careful of Mike's and my blood pressure.

Mike - true dat!

Elvis - go, Huntsville!

Kristen - I don't think he did, but perhaps I should.