Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Special Books


The other day, Mike sent Andrea and I a link to a Reddit thread he thought we’d like: “Many people own books that possess sentimental value greater than the author ever intended. What's your special book?” 

After reading a few of the posts in the thread, I got to thinking about my own special books (which, of course, was probably Mike’s intent all along). Here are a few:

The Kappilan of Malta, by Nicholas Monsarratt. History for people who don’t like history. The exciting, enthralling history of the island nation of Malta, in episodes narrated by a priest trying to keep up the spirits of his parishioners as they endure the brutal siege of the island during the Second World War.

Household Gods, by Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove. A woman whose life is falling apart around her wishes she could live in a simpler time … and gets her wish, which doesn’t quite work out as she expected. A great novel that is by turns funny, frightening, sad, and always entertaining.

The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern. A story of love, mystery, and a competition between two magicians, set in a mysterious circus that only opens at night. Superb writing and an engrossing plot.

Water for Elephants, by Sara Gruen. Another story set in a circus and populated with interesting, well-developed characters. The story begins with a murder and continues with flashbacks that lead to the present day and reveal the killer … and you’ll never see it coming.  

Two O’Clock Eastern Wartime, by John Dunning. A marvelous mystery set in a radio station on the American east coast during World War II. Brilliantly combines many of my favorite topics: radio, the Second World War, and a murder mystery whose roots lie in a conflict most of us have never heard of.

The Killer Angels, by Michael Shaara. No one has ever told the enthralling and heartbreaking story of the Civil War battle of Gettysburg as well as this.

Death Comes for the Archbishop, by Willa Cather. A wonderful novel of the American Southwest that is the source of one of my favorite quotations: “Men travel faster now, but I do not know if they go to better things.”

I have lots more “special” books, and I’ll share some of them with you in future posts. What are your special books? Leave a comment so that the rest of us can find new things to read. Yes, Vicki, I'm talking to you!

Have a good day. Read more. More thoughts tomorrow.


Bilbo

8 comments:

Linda Kay said...

The first that come to mind are the Brown novels: DeVinci Code, Angels and Demons, etc. I'm fascinated by the writer's ability to create all those unusual thought processes to solving mysteries.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I liked the Willa Cather book too.

"Insane City," by Dave Barry

"Tell Me Lies," by Jennifer Crusie

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Douglas Adam books

Gonzo Dave said...

I tend to keep apocalyptic books: On the Beach; Alas, Babylon; Lucifer's Hammer; The Postman; Battlefield Earth. Currently, I'm on my third visit to Clanton, Mississippi, via John Grisham (A Time To Kill, The Firm, and now The Summons).

Duckbutt said...

The Friends of Eddie Coyle, by G. V. Higgins

August 1914, by Alexandr Soltsenhitsyn

The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner

A Man in Full, by Tom Wolfe

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I think I may be the only one who didn't enjoy Water for Elephants. hmm...
But Household Gods sound very appealing to me.Thanks .... need more books for my vacation coming up soon.

Mike said...

I'm with Linda.

Insane Penguin said...

Reginald Hill's Dazeil and P:ascoe books.