Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving, 2014


Today is my favorite holiday: the traditional American holiday of Thanksgiving. In a crazy world in which we too often focus on the negatives, it's good to have a day on which to sit back and reflect on the things for which we can be truly thankful. On this Thanksgiving Day - as on every Thanksgiving Day - Bilbo the Cynical Curmudgeon yields the blog to Bilbo the Reflective Grandpa to think about some of the things that are right with the world ...

A beautiful and endlessly talented wife that makes life interesting and enjoyable ... if a little chaotic at times;

Three loving and successful children who have made their own marks on the world, and of whom I am proud beyond all measure;

Six adorable, intelligent, and loving grandchildren that can warm the most jaded heart;

The world's best daughter-in-law;

A job;

A home;

Good health;

Friends;

The good fortune to be able to live in a country which, for all its faults, gives me the opportunity to enjoy all of the above;

The ability to write what I wish in this space without worrying about the heavy hand of the censor; and,

The ability to enjoy the good things of the world that would be denied by those whose harsh and intolerant worship of a jealous and angry God ignores the beauty and possibilities of the present in favor of rigid belief in an imagined paradise in an unknowable future.

I have many things to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day, and it's only proper that I should take a few minutes to acknowledge that I am, as ever, most richly blessed.

I wish all of you, Dear Readers, the very happiest and safest of holidays.

Have a good day. Give thanks for the good things you have and the bad things you don't. And stay out of the stores tomorrow ... you'll thank me.

More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

8 comments:

The Bastard King of England said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Bilbo!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Bilbo!

allenwoodhaven said...

Happy Thanksgiving Bilbo. One thing I'm thankful for is your blog. Keep writing!

Linda Kay said...

I share your joy and appreciation for all the good things around me, including husband, children and grands and I also have wonderful son in law and daughter in law. And soon to be another son in law. We had a church service last night reflecting on all forms of thanksgiving shared by the members of our congregation. Very moving. Have a blessed day!

Gonzo Dave said...

Well said, good sir. Well said. I would add to your list all the friends you have and who count themselves lucky (as I do) to *be* your friend. Enjoy your holiday.

Mike said...

HTG back at you.

John A Hill said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Bill!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Bilbo!