Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Planning the Holiday Seating


One of the most difficult things about planning the Thanksgiving dinner is not what to serve, but where to seat the guests.

You know what I'm talking about ... we all go through the exercise every year of figuring out where to seat each person based on an assessment of table manners, conversational abilities, political affiliation, familial responsibilities, and so on. It's especially dicey this year, when many families and friends are hopelessly divided by seemingly-irreconcilable political differences. Kings, Queens, and presidents have entire staffs dedicated to the issue of protocol and ensuring that everyone is properly seated and arranged ... we have to navigate the shoals of propriety and peacekeeping on our own.

Fortunately, a few years back I ran across this chart that I'll share with you as a way of helping you survive the holiday ...


Don't thank me ... it's all part of the service.

Have a good day. Come back tomorrow, when I'll wax eloquent on why I love Thanksgiving. More thoughts then.

Bilbo

5 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Life is complicated anyway; but throw in tetchy relatives and politics, and it becomes more so.

Especially bad when some are not inhibited by politeness or restraint from asking nosy questions, like "When are you going to make a baby?"

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I'm going to sit at the kids table :) I don't care. Its the safest place. :)

Mike said...

I usually hang back and just take the last seat.

allenwoodhaven said...

Very funny!

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

I wondered what to do with creepy uncles.