Those of you who are my age (mid-70s) have certainly noticed that the content of your mail changes - not just snail mail, but e-mail and spam text messages. You get fewer and fewer ads about concerts, hip new clubs opening up, and great vacation opportunities, and more ads for retirement communities, cemetery plots, and medications for aching joints. I remember my father commenting on this when he was older and now, as in so many other things, I'm becoming my father.
This poem, from the collection "Wilson's Revenge" by - of course - Wilson, speaks to that change that sneaks up without warning on us all ...
SIXTY
by Wilson
Nobody tells you sixty is the year
the mail changes, fewer invitations,
more statements, and the body
sending its first bill with interestfor everything you did at thirty.
I wish somebody would have warned me. I'd have ignored it, as the young do, but still ... the interest is a killer.
Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.
Bilbo
No comments:
Post a Comment