Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Accidental Green Thumb

As you know if you've read my profile, I love to cook. And it doesn't take long for a cook to discover that many of the really good ingredients, particularly fresh herbs, can be pretty expensive if you buy them in the little plastic packages at the local supermarket. Thus it was that each year I told myself this would be the year that I was going to finally get off my pasty white backside and plant an herb garden to free myself from the tyranny of the supermarket.

I eventually got started two years ago by purchasing a large plastic bin to start my own mulch pile. All the right stuff went into it: vegetable peelings, coffee grounds, leftover or overaged vegetables, etc, and I dutifully watered and turned it through the summer. After it rained, or when I worked in the yard, I gathered up all the earthworms I found and tossed them into the mulch so that they could chomp their way through the pile and add their casts to the mix. Gradually, I ended up with a respectable amount of rich, black mulch.

Last year was the first year I actually planted my own herbs. I got several large pots filled them with potting soil (didn't have quite enough mulch yet), and bought bedding plants from the seasonal garden shop. I planted basil, thyme, tarragon, and chives and - voila! - we finally had our own herbs. The basil in particular grew very well, as did the thyme. The chives were a little sad and the tarragon not quite up to snuff, but the basil and thyme, which we use a lot of, made up for it.

With last year's success in mind, this year I got more adventurous. I hauled up some rocks from the woods behind the house and enclosed two plots on the sunny side of the house. I filled both with topsoil and put almost all of my accumulated mulch into the first one (it turned out that there wasn't quite enough mulch for both). In the first plot, I planted basil, rosemary, thyme, spearmint, and lavender; in the other I planted peppermint, more lavender, parsley, and the hapless chives (transplanted from the pot in which they'd survived the winter). Then I sat back, watered, and waited.

Well...

My little garden has exceeded my wildest expectations. In the first plot, my basil plants are each about four feet tall, bushy, and wonderfully fragrant. The lavender, rosemary and thyme are holding their own, but are hidden under a vast drift of spearmint. In the second plot, we have a huge patch of parsley, with the peppermint and lavender holding their own and the chives puttering along. I can tell the difference between the yield of the second plot (which didn't get much mulch) and the first.


But the real surprise turned out the be the success of what I didn't plant - tomatoes! From the tomato seeds in the mulch, I now have a veritable forest of huge tomato plants that are sprawling out everywhere! I have dozens of grape and cherry tomatoes happily ripening in the sun, along with a few larger specimens of other tomato sorts.

There's a real sense of accomplishment in being able to eat things you grew yourself, and I'm very proud of the way my little garden turned out. Our bounty is such that I've made the rounds of the neighborhood, encouraging everyone to come by and pick what they need. The mulch pile is still going strong as I prepare for next year, and you can smell the fresh scent of basil, lavender, and warm tomatoes from some distance. If you have the space (and all you really need is some pots or window boxes), you can grow some of your own things, too. It saves money, gives you something to do with idle hands, and just plain makes you feel good.

And we could all use that from time to time, couldn't we?

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

P.S. Thanks to all of you who commented on yesterday's post about my frustrations in booking a flight to Las Vegas - particularly the wishes for luck (which I'll surely need). I think that I left the impression that the trip was imminent...actually, Agnes will be attending a professional course out there in October, and I'll fly out to meet her for a long weekend when she's done with the class work. Reader John recommended the Mac Davis magic and comedy show at Harrah's - John, we saw that show two years ago when we were there, and it's great. And Amanda, thanks for the wish for luck! I'll need it, because I always think of the old joke about people who arrive in Vegas in $50,000 cars...then leave in $120,000 buses!

B.

3 comments:

Mrs. Geezerette said...

I have the healthiest bunch of chives you would ever want to see.

Several years ago I bought some potted chives. I kept them outside and enjoyed them through the summer. But I was convinced they would die during the winter since they were in a small pot and would be exposed to freezing temperatures sometimes subzero temps. So, I wrote them off. Much to my surprise they came up the following spring in that small pot.

I decided to transfer the chives then to a flower box which is attached to the railing of our deck. I planted other herbs, too, in that flower box: sage; basil; thyme; and parsley. The chives did beautifully. But the dirt in the flower box is only 6 inches deep. So, again certain that the chives would die due to freezing temperatures and their shallow home, I wrote them off. Surprise! Surprise! The following spring they came up in that shallow flower box.

Today these chives reside in a larger wooden planter alongside our house. Every year they come up and in abundance. They are the hardiest bunch of chives I have ever seen, and I have not done anything extraordinary to them that would account for their hardiness.

I love the smell of fresh herbs when you rub them between your fingers. Basil is my favorite. This winter I hope to maintain a few potted herbs in the house.

Your herbs look lush and healthy. I planted lemon balm one year alongside our house. I thought I would use it for tea. My advice is do not plant lemon balm except in a confining container. They will spread and will try to take over spaces including your lawn.

John A Hill said...

Congratulations on a great garden. It has been several years since I've attempted a garden.

I was wondering if you dry some of your herbs for the winter or for teas or if you always use them fresh? If you dry them, try drying some of the tomatoes. I think that the flavor of sliced dried tomatoes bursts in your mouth when used on a homemade pizza or on a variety of other dishes.

Almost makes me want to plant a garden...almost.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Herb cooking is really advanced; you must be a good cook.