Saturday, December 08, 2007

I Don't Care!

As I search (fruitlessly, so far) to find a candidate for president I can support in the 2008 election, I’m struck by the flood of empty words that pander to carefully-selected audiences and take the place of thoughtful ideas. Everything has to be thought through and packaged just the right way, as directed by the handlers, to keep from offending anyone and to make sure just the right note is struck at all times.

I think the worst of it is the emphasis being placed this season on the candidates’ religious beliefs. Here’s a note on that topic to everyone running for president:

I don’t care.

- I don’t care if you believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and you have accepted him as your personal Savior.

- I don’t care if you believe the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ.

- I don’t care if you believe there is no god but God, and that Mohammed is His prophet.

- I don’t care if you believe you will be reincarnated repeatedly until you reach Nirvana.

- I don’t care if you think it’s better to suffer and die than to accept medical treatment.

- I don’t care whether you call yourself a Christian, Jew, Mormon, Muslim, Baptist, Buddhist, Zoroastrianist, Animist, Christian Scientist, Shinto, Anabaptist, Calvinist, Lutheran, Sunni, Presbyterian, Shiite, Seventh Day Adventist, Anglican, Wiccan, or anything else.

- I don’t care if you worship in a church, temple, mosque, or synagogue, or in a circle of stones on a hilltop. I care about what you believe in your heart, and what kind of leader it makes you. If you need Scriptural or Koranic or Talmudic verses to tell you how to be a decent and caring person, you don’t deserve to be president.

All of this is between you and God, and the two of you will sort it out on Judgment Day.

On the other hand, there are some things about which I care very much:

- Do you live The Golden Rule?

- How do you live your beliefs in your daily life? Do they make you someone who cares about the welfare of your neighbors, the nation, and the rest of the world, or do they make you rigidly certain that those who don’t agree with you will be damned for all eternity?

- Do you believe that your religion gives you the right and the duty to force me to worship the same way you do, and to kill or enslave me if I refuse?

- Do you favor one set of believers over another?

- Do you need to follow strict and intricate rules to live a simple and godly life?

If you want me to care enough to vote for you, you need to show me that your beliefs are a foundation for wisdom and compassion, rather than hatred and intolerance. You need to show me that you can live your beliefs, rather than just spouting them at the right place in interviews and stump speeches.

My grandchildren will grow up in a world you will play a major role in shaping.

And I care about them a lot more than I care about you.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

4 comments:

John A Hill said...

"If you want me to care enough to vote for you, you need to show me that your beliefs are a foundation for wisdom and compassion, rather than hatred and intolerance. You need to show me that you can live your beliefs, rather than just spouting them at the right place in interviews and stump speeches."

I think that sums it up quite well.

Sue said...

Is there a way you can submit this to your local newspaper? It's damn good and worthy of being shared and passed around!

And, I concur.

Amanda said...

Good Post! With a country as diverse as the US, it seems silly to place so much emphasis on a specific religion or a particular set of beliefs. You're right, its all walking the talk.

Mike said...

What are you going to post next? You have summed up life. Good luck on topping this!