Sunday, March 09, 2008

The Cuss-Free Zone


I shot this picture several years ago in Virginia Beach, a town trying to remind its citizens that it's not polite to use foul language. A few days ago USA Today ran an article about the city of South Pasadena, California, which has declared itself a "cuss-free zone."

Yes, amazingly enough in this age of loud and frequent use of foul language by people of all ages, one town has finally had enough, and has officially declared itself to be a "cuss-free zone," if only for one week a year. South Pasadena mayor Michael Cacciotti designated the first week of March as "No Cussing Week," saying that it would "...provide(s) us a reminder to be more civil, to elevate the level of discourse."

This is, of course, not a bad thing. The sort of language my mother would have washed my mouth out with soap for using is now not only common, but shouted at high volume by loutish young people in public who aren't intelligent enough to think of anything better to say. Not that I haven't used intemperate language myself - I can curse with the best of 'em when the situation requires it - but I don't think it's necessary to lard your every sentence with four-letter words.

The thoughtlessly common use of bad language represents a benchmark of how low we've sunk in our level of education and in the level of personal decency and respect for others we're willing to show. I wrote the other day about the tendency of some people to demand respect for their religious beliefs without being willing to extend that same respect to the beliefs of others. In some places, failing to show the expected level of respect to someone ("dissing" them, in street slang), can get you killed. As I've written in this space before, words matter. While the old adage that "sticks and stones can break my bones, but names can never hurt me" is true to a point, it also misses the fact that the offhand use of insults, foul language, and other forms of disrespect can actually, hurt...if not physically, then certainly by poisoning the level of rational discourse.

There can never be an outright ban on the use of foul language in this country. If South Pasadena were, for instance, to enact a law imposing fines or jail time for public cursing, it wouldn't take more than about three nanoseconds for reinforced battalions of lawyers to show up with truckloads of lawsuits, drooling over billable hours and howling about the infringement of the people's right to freely express themselves. But as I always say, you can legislate freedom of speech, but not freedom of smart. It's just plain smart to speak clearly and show respect the sensitivities of others.

Unfortunately, smart is in short supply lately.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

4 comments:

Amanda said...

WOW! I didn't think any city would try to make itself 'cleaner' in this way. I rarely find myself around faul language these days but when I do come across it, it sounds 100 times worse because I have grown so unaccustomed to it.

Mike said...

What the he.... heck are you doing up at 7am (actually 6am) on Sunday morning?? You have to join with me in setting an example for John. Anything before noon feel like the middle of the night to me. NO WAIT! I'm usually up in the middle of the night! Now I confused.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Why just one week? The mayor ought to start introducing more weeks.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I saw that in the news blurbs what do they considering cussing though? I fully admit to being a potty mouth, but not out and about unless I'm driving then I put drunken sailors to shame.

I hope they don't have a lot of road rage in South Pasadena or people will be exploding!