Wednesday, February 06, 2019

The Letter the Democrats Should Send


Last night I wasted about an hour and fifteen minutes of my life listening to Donald Trump's State of the Union speech (I gave up before it was over). It was about what I'd expected to hear, and it suggested how the Democrats need to proceed with the mess over the Great Wall of Trump.

Were I Chuck Schumer or Nancy Pelosi, here is the letter I would send to Mr Trump:

QUOTE:

Dear Mr President,

In the interest of cooperation and conciliation, and in order to put the issue of your proposed border wall to rest so that we can move on to other pressing issues facing the nation, we offer the following:

Congressional Democrats will provide 100% of your requested wall funding upon receipt of documented proof, based on official government documentation, facts, and analysis, that prove both the existence of a border crisis and that such a wall is necessary to solve that crisis. Acceptable documentation would include formal National Intelligence Estimates, official studies conducted by the Department of Homeland Security, official Justice Department records of arrests and prosecutions for border violations, and similar official records. Data without documentation to show its provenance, irrelevant or anecdotal data, and emotional references to "Angel Moms" are not sufficient - we are prepared to provide the funding you want as long as you can prove the existence of the problem and the efficacy of your proposed wall as a solution.

Because you are clearly certain of the existence and severity of the crisis, we are sure that you must be in possession of hard data that proves your case. Therefore, we ask that you provide this information to the appropriate Senate and House committees no later than February 28, 2019 so that it can be shared with the American public to prove the case for your wall. Once this information has been received and verified, we will provide the funding you request.

Sincerely,

The Democrats

END QUOTE

That's what I think ought to happen ... what do you think? Leave a comment.

Have a good day. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

4 comments:

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

and have this letter cc: the American public.
At least you watched it. I refused because I knew it would make me so angry. So I watched a Netflix special by Ray Romano. Not even close to this topic but I need to keep my blood pressure down Bilbo.

Mike said...

Did you see this?
https://amp.businessinsider.com/fiber-optic-sensing-technology-vs-border-wall-2019-2
We don't need no stinkin' wall!

jono said...

So did you send the letter to the White House or Mar-a-lago?

allenwoodhaven said...

Excellent. Send it to them; they should use it!
I too skipped the speech.It's just too much political bs and I can't stand the performance. Snippets on the news are enough for me to hear some of it. I do read about it at length to learn much more.