Thursday, July 19, 2007

Strange Maps

I've found a new and amazing blog that I wanted to share with you: Strange Maps (visit it at http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/, or click the new link in my link list at the left) . If, as I am, you are interested in history and in the world around us, it offers a fascinating look at the world in many different and unusual ways. One map of the United States renames each state for a nation with a similar Gross Domestic Product; another renames each state for a nation with a similar life expectancy. Yet other maps are fanciful or historic, and all are very interesting.

Of course, if the radical Islamists have their way, we will need only one map: the entire world, colored green, and labeled as the New Caliphate...but one hopes we'll never reach that unfortunate situation.

Although geographic literacy among Americans at large is pretty dismal, and a site like Strange Maps won't appeal to everyone, I think those of you who are regular readers of my blog will find it fascinating. Check it out.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

No comments: