Saturday, July 04, 2009

Cartoon Saturday

A US soldier taken prisoner in Afghanistan has reportedly been sold to one of the warring clans; Sarah Palin has resigned as governor of Alaska, probably because she can see Washington from there; North Korea has test-fired seven missiles, the international relations equivalent of a two-year old's temper tantrum, but slightly more dangerous; no one is quite sure who the real president of Honduras is; and the Navy reports that a sailor standing guard duty at Camp Pendleton was murdered earlier this week.

Sit down, take deep, cleansing breaths, and let Cartoon Saturday make it all better.

It's not always easy to go through life with a degree in Linguistics, cringing when language is misused and abused (especially when you live in Washington and have to listen to the tortured screams of English coming from Capitol Hill). Here are two cartoons about language...

and,There are some good cartoons out there poking fun at those of us in the blogging community, too...


and,

Getting old is a real pain. Of course, the alternative is worse. I was moaning one day some years ago about getting old, and my loving daughter told me not to worry...that I wasn't getting old, I was just getting fat. I think I can relate to this cartoon ...

And finally, surrounded as I am with brilliant and precocious grandchildren, I thought this was an especially good cartoon ...

Cartoon Saturday comes to you today from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where Agnes and I are spending the weekend with my father and my sister and her family. Wherever you are spending this Fourth of July holiday weekend, I hope it's safe and happy.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

John A Hill said...

Happy Fourth of July to you, Bilbo.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Comment deleted by author because of severe typo.


I'm glad you explained the first one.

And I guess I'll toss out my copy of the twitter one.

Leslie David said...

Happy 4th. We missed you last night. I took a few pictures but they're not as good as yours.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Hope you are having a good 4th.