Thursday, May 17, 2012

Going, Going, Gone ...


There are a lot of things we've grown used to over the years that are slowly dying out. Not only job-killing things like fresh air, clean water, sound banks, and safe drugs (don't worry ... the Republicans will protect us from those!). Other things that are going the way of the dodo are civility, common courtesy, good governance, and - bear with me, I'm getting to the point - a lot of familiar technologies.

Yesterday I ran across this fascinating article: 15 Current Technologies A Child Born Today Will Never Use. I'll leave you to read the entire article for yourself, but there are three things on the list that I think are worth singling out ...

Landline Phones. The development of cheap and ubiquitous cell phones that can be used anywhere is quickly driving the traditional wired landline phone to extinction. This is fine, until the battery in your phone dies, you can't get a signal, or the cellular network goes down - a problem I encountered personally on 9/11, when I was unable to contact Agnes for hours to let her know I was safe because the enormous volume of calls collapsed the local cell networks. I waited in line for nearly two hours to use a pay phone ... and those are going away now, too.



Mice. No, not the ones you buy a cat to get rid of, but the ones you use as an input device with your computer. The spread of touchpads and capacitive touch screens will make your mouse a thing of the past or, at the least, a secondary method of controlling your devices.



Phone Numbers. With the advent of smartphones, you seldom need to worry about a phone number ... you just touch the right icon in your contacts list and get connected, without ever having to remember the number you're "dialing" (remember when you actually had to dial a number?). User ID's, screen names, and e-mail addresses are quickly crowding out the traditional phone number.


Read the full list, and then leave a comment to let me know what things you think today's babies will never use.

I'd write more, but I need to get to work so I can use at least ten of the items on the list. After all, I work for the government ... where we use the latest bludgeoning-edge technology.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

10 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I have to say I hate cell phones. I own a dumbphone. (aka a low grade model smartphone). Why do we need computer phones? The phone is lousy.

GAH..and don't get me started on the touch pads, because I'm lousy with those. I'm going to give my mouse some cheese now :P

Banana Oil said...

I think that some of those technologies might appear as a retro style object.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Corded small tools and appliances are likely to go when fast-charging and long-lasting batteries become inexpensive.

Imagine: not having to plug in your blender!

allenwoodhaven said...

I don't know if I believe all these predictions. They are always made by future oriented people and many people are more past oriented. They have said that paper money will go away, but I doubt it. And besides, where are the jet packs we were told would be everywhere by now? They certainly would make my commute easier and more fun!

The Bastard King of England said...

The thing about predicting future inventions is that even though they didn't happen, the answer is that they didn't happen as yet. Maybe we will someday have cars that can be converted into airplanes, liked they predicted we would in the 1950s.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

For some reason this list made me sad.

Mike said...

I don't believe most of those things on the list. I think this guy is trying to get a job with Popular Science so he can predict more things that won't happen.

KathyA said...

I actually miss the feel of a rotary phone. I love that sound that a metal dial makes....

Amazing this stuff...

Big Sky Heidi said...

There was an old-style rotary phone called The Princess that was kind of neat.

I expect that giant-sized satillite dishes will go.

And DVDs are fast becoming the technology of the past.

Dana said...

I was a bi surprised to see FAX machines on the list. HIPPA requirements make emailing (an unsecured technology) not an option - FAX-ing is required.

We'll see. I'm the person who thought 8-track tapes would be around forever!