Sunday, December 03, 2017

Poetry Sunday


At the intersection of poetry and film noir ...

I beseech thee, O Yellow Pages...
by Barbara Hamby

I beseech thee, O Yellow Pages, help me find a number
for Barbara Stanwyck, because I need a tough broad
in my corner right now. She'll pour me a tumbler
of scotch or gin and tell me to buck up, show me the rod
she has hidden in her lingerie drawer. She has a temper,
yeah, but her laugh could take the wax off a cherry red
Chevy. "Shoot him," she'll say merrily, then scamper
off to screw an insurance company out of another wad
of dough. I'll be left holding the phone or worse, patsy
in another scheme, arrested by Edward G. Robinson
and sent to Sing Sing, while Barb lives like Gatsby
in Thailand or Tahiti, gambling the night away until the sun
rises in the east, because there are some things a girl can be sure
of, like the morning coming after night's inconsolable lure.

Perhaps you should look under "M" for Maltese Falcon.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow, when we launch the 2017 Ass Clown of the Year campaign.

Bilbo

2 comments:

Duckbutt said...

The ooem is a neat juxtaposition.

Mike said...

I used the phone book last night. It was closer than the computer.