Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Why I Hate Yogurt


Well, I actually don't hate yogurt ... what I hate is shopping for yogurt.

Last Sunday I decided to make a recipe which required plain, whole-milk yogurt as an ingredient.

At my local store I discovered that - although there are acres of shelf space filled with yogurt - there's almost no such thing as plain, whole-milk yogurt.


There's non-fat, low-fat, 0%, 2%, and 4% yogurt.

There's yogurt with vanilla, blueberry, strawberry, peach, guava, and every combination thereof.

There's yogurt made from cow, sheep, and goat milk.

There's yogurt derived from almonds, soy milk, coconut milk, and other stuff.

There's Greek, Icelandic, and Australian yogurt.

There's drinkable yogurt (Kefir).

All flavored yogurts may be purchased in single-serving cups or in small packages of a pint or so, but if you want plain, old, whole-milk yogurt, it comes only in single-servings (very difficult to find), quarts, or 55-gallon drums.

I just needed a couple of spoonfuls of plain, whole-milk yogurt ... is that too much to ask?

Evidently, it is. And it's not good for my blood pressure, either, which is another issue entirely.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

7 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Yes! I find that shopping for yogurt is so complicated! Icelandic yogurt? Not around here.

Honey-flavored yogurt can sweeten my disposition, which needs it of late.

Banana Oil said...

I hate the taste of yogurt.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well Bill, the wrong grocery store I guess.
I use plain yogurt a great deal of in recipes and it is at all 3 of the stores I shop at. Normally though in a bigger container but none the less I see is all the time. Maybe they were just out because everyone is using it. Or you're old and didn't see it....tee hee

Mike said...

You should have just thrown up your hands and headed to McDonald's.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Yogurt with fruit isn't half bad. But it's not like a jelly doughnut.

Jono said...

Is the Icelandic stuff Siggi's? It's called yogurt here, but is actually a cheese product called skyr. There were some guys trying to find an Icelander who had wronged them, but they didn't find him because he was hidden in a barrel of skyr. It was long ago.

allenwoodhaven said...

I don't particularly like yogurt but buy it for others sometimes. It certainly seems more complicated than it needs to be. I always need to be told specifically because they're all so different.