Sunday, May 24, 2020

Poetry Sunday


Last Sunday we celebrated Mothers' Day with my traditional, updated post honoring the mothers in my family, and mothers everywhere. This week, another take on remembering mother ...

After Fifty Years
by Gil Broxon

I walked among the Grave Markers,
Near my old home town,
And I saw a number of
Old friends.
John: Killed in world war two,
Buckey, Tooter,
And Teenie.
All were childhood pals.
There was Ann's mother, And
Verna Karhryn's Mother and
father. Uncle Levi, Aunt Sally,
And Mr. Smith. I saw Uncle
Charlie—And so many others
That brought fleeting Memories
of other days.
Then I came to the plot,
That Mama had bought for herself.
Suddenly the world was still,
Except for a bird
That was singing.
Once again I heard
Mama say to me,
"Son, when I die.
Take me home!"
I think that they were glad,
That I came and walked among
Their headstones,
And remembered
Each of them,
As they used to be.
I think that they were glad,
That I came all alone,
And did not disturb
The bird
That was singing.


Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. Wash your hands, wear a mask, and be responsible.

More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

4 comments:

Duckbutt said...

A pensive, great poem. Thanks.

Mike said...

Childhood pals are starting to die off aren't they?

allenwoodhaven said...

I like this poem a lot; it says so much!

grams ramblings said...

"Suddenly the world was still except for a bird singing..." that line gives us so much context.
Beautiful poem - well done.

gramswisewords.blogspot.com