Sunday, January 09, 2022

Poetry Sunday


2021 is gone, and we're still here. Most of us, anyhow. As we head cautiously into the new year, let's look back with Gary Johnson at what we left behind, and what lies ahead ...

Another Year
by Gary Johnson

Another year gone and the old man with the scythe
Is mowing closer. He hasn’t been subtle, has he.
Too many good people gone, and I could sit and cry
For them except that you look exceptionally snazzy
Despite the miles on your odometer,
As if you have a few more aces up your sleeve,
Maybe you were born under a lucky comet or
Maybe it’s the wine, but I do believe
When I look at you and take your hand you’re
Positively glowing. Maybe we’ve been sorry a
Long enough time and now we get some grandeur
And do our dance and sing our aria.
    May this year bring us before it has flown
    All we would have wished for had we only known.

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

4 comments:

Mike said...

I know you just turned 70 and I just turned 75. It doesn't seem like I'm old but my body sometimes reminds me that I am. I feel like I'm just "here" for another day. May they keep on coming.

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Wow, that's beautiful.
I'm dropping by thanks to Mike, and I think I'll stick around. (I found you on his blog.)
Great to meet you, Gary.
Robyn =D

allenwoodhaven said...

"May this year bring us before it has flown
All we would have wished for had we only known."

Beautiful poem!

Rajani Rehana said...

Super post