Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Useless News, a Report, and an Invitation

News Flash: Chelsea Clinton is engaged! Here's our man-on-the-street reporter with an update:

Man-on-the-Street Reporter: "Sir, what do you think of the news about Chelsea Clinton's engagement?"

Man-on-the-Street: "Who?"

Man-on-the-Street Reporter: "Back over to you, Bilbo."

In other news, yesterday evening fellow blogger Gilahi and I met at a local watering hole to share a few drinks, get acquainted, and discuss the solutions to the world's problems that are obvious only to those of us forged in the crucible of the 60's. Since Gilahi hasn't mentioned this earth-shaking event on his blog yet, let me just say that I found the self-described "aging hippie" to be a funny, erudite fellow with whom I have much in common ... particularly a sense of humor that appreciates the Marx Brothers, Steven Wright, and the immortal Red Skelton. Sadly, we only had two hours in which to solve the world's problems, which wasn't quite enough, so we've agreed to get together again and give it another shot. We can't do any worse than Congress.

The enjoyment of this meeting leads to the obvious question: which other Northern Virginia area bloggers would be interested in a holiday happy hour get-together sometime during the month of December? I'm thinking that the week between Christmas and New Years might be a good opportunity for a Bloggers' Happy Hour, as things (other than for those working in retail) tend to be at a fairly low ebb during that time. If you are interested, e-mail me and let me know so I can decide whether or not to crack the organizational whip and get things rolling. Only one request: if you're more than 30 years younger than I am, you have to promise not to make me feel too old. I've got grandchildren to take care of that, thank you very much.

Have a good day. Listen to the President's speech on Afghanistan tonight at 8:00 so that you can better enjoy the nanny-nanny-boo-boo commentary from the Republicans and the whining from the Democrats when it's over. You know it's coming...

More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

Amanda said...

WOW! I hope you get to organise this. It would be so much fun.

Mike said...

Two hours didn't get it done? Here's how it should have gone. Hi Bilbo. Hi Gilahi. Let's pray for world peace. OK. You done? Yeah. Let's drink beer.

Wv: gatened - How most people feel again when a new operating system comes out.

Mike said...

Note from blogger - Your comment has been saved. It may take a few minutes to appear. We'll see.

Mike said...

Hey! It showed up! Well kiss my grits!

Wv: polot - A flying polor bear.

Gilahi said...

Unfortunately I was unable to get around to posting anything yesterday because I was attending a funeral. I'll certainly try to get something out there today and between my 6 readers and your 8 we may actually reach the 3 that aren't duplicates.

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Wv: vitutio - Romeo's lesser-known Italian friend.