Thursday, January 24, 2008

If You Can't Cry, You Might As Well Laugh

I know, I know ... you're getting tired of hearing me whine about the dearth of quality candidates in the ongoing presidential derby. But it's my blog, and I'll whine if I want to, whine if I want to (sorry, Leslie Gore).

Today, let's take a little different slant on this shabby topic. Here's a collection of good topical quotes and general silliness to take your minds off the depressing pander-fest:

Hungry for good candidates? -


As you listen to all the promises and platitudes, remember this quote from famous American newsman and curmudgeon Henry L. Mencken: "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

Tired of so-called debates? Me, too:


Most candidates are masters of torturing unpleasant data until it says what they want it to say, or of cherry-picking the statistics to bolster otherwise questionable arguments. Here's one take on it:


The great American news reporter Edward R. Murrow had this to say about television and elections: "When the politicians complain that TV turns the proceedings into a circus, it should be made clear that the circus was already there, and that TV has merely demonstrated that not all the performers are well trained."

Tired of all the candidates trying to pander to the hard-core religious right? Others are, too:

Don't you wish for a candidate who is up front with you...a candidate you can count on for a consistent stand on the issues, regardless of the audience being addressed? Time to vote for the ultimate candidate (with apologies to H.P. Lovecraft):


And finally, for today, comedienne Lily Tomlin once made this observation, which applies both to the presidential campaign and (unfortunately) to the economy: "Things are going to get a lot worse before they get worse."

Keep a stiff upper lip - only nine more months of this junk.

AARRGGHH!!

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

4 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I feel out of my chair laughing at the Blondie strip a few weeks ago in the paper.

Seriously I'm expecting that to happen at one of the next Democratic debates.

Oh and the Corn Flakes box..that so great!

Sue said...

The only question I keep asking myself is... are any of them as bad or worse than Dubya?

It's the only thought that keeps me sane.

This entry was hilarious, btw.

NathanRyder said...

I just laughed out loud at the Cthulhu comic!

Very funny indeed.

John A Hill said...

Funny stuff! Thanks for the relief.