Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Bilbo's Suggestions for Government Reorganization


Yesterday I talked about the hue and cry over the size of government, and the lack of specific proposals for what to actually reduce. Well, except for those put forward by Ted Cruz, with which I disagree for the most part. Here are the first of my own ideas:

Today there are 15 Cabinet Departments:

Agriculture;
Commerce;
Defense;
Education;
Energy;
Health and Human Services;
Homeland Security;
Housing and Urban Development;
Interior;
Justice;
Labor;
State;
Transportation;
Treasury; and,
Veterans’ Affairs

I propose to reduce that number to seven:

State;
Treasury (incorporating parts of Homeland Security);
Justice (incorporating parts of Homeland Security);
Labor and Commerce;
Defense (incorporating parts of Homeland Security);
National Infrastructure (consolidating and incorporating parts of Agriculture, Energy, HUD, Interior, and Transportation); and,
Citizens’ Services (consolidating and incorporating parts of Education, Health, and Veterans’ Affairs)

This does not, of course, address the large number of independent establishments and government corporations, many of which I would either eliminate outright or fold into one of the cabinet departments.

I'm a little short on time this morning, so I don't have enough time to elaborate on these ideas. However, over the next week or two, I'll look at each of my proposed new cabinet offices, explain what I'd eliminate and why, and how the reorganized government might function better.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm intrigued on how this would work and come to pass.

John A Hill said...

BILBO FOR PRESIDENT!!!
(This endorsement does not mean I am seeking a cabinet position)

Big Sky Heidi said...

Bilbo for President! I would't say no to a cabinet position.

allenwoodhaven said...

Simplifying government bureaucracy? Careful or the men in the white suits with the straight jackets will be coming after you!
Not to worry. I, for one, will vouch for your sanity. Now we just need enough like minded rational citizens elected to Congress.

Mike said...

National Infrastructure should be renamed to National Crumbling Structure.

Gonzo Dave said...

Bilbo for President! I'll build the Cabinet.

Oh, wait - I'm not a woodworker. Hmmm... Gonna have to rethink this.