Sunday, April 28, 2019

Poetry Sunday


I didn't realize it until my friend and fellow blogger Kathleen pointed it out to me, but April is National Poetry Month. It's a shame that there's just this one last Poetry Sunday left in the month, but it's appropriate nevertheless to mark it with a poem suggested by Kathleen that's also one of my favorites ...

The Road Not Taken 

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


As J.R.R. Tolkien put it, "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." Take the other road ... it may make all the difference.

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

1 comment:

Kathleen Mariano-Underhill said...

Poetry is a form of art that feeds our souls. It should not be contained to just one month within the year. However, if it is a first time for someone to take a peek and see what poetry is, I suggest take a leap of faith. If one poem does not suit you, look for another. Go to the Library and peruse the Poetry section. Google or do whatever it is you do to gather information. If it moves you to smile, laugh, cry or question...then you have found yourself a keeper.

I credit my Eighth Grade English Teacher Mrs. Reinhardt who introduced me to poetry and Artist Norman Rockwell. She was my pick for Teacher of the Year. My eyes were opened wide and the Robert Frost poems were my introduction to poetry.

I believe poetry is an art form that can not only move mountains, but move one's heart and soul. I hope you find a poem today that makes you think, cry, laugh, love, question or just be with it.