Sunday, September 18, 2022

Poetry Sunday


My friend Mary, who lives in Germany, posted this marvelous poem by Brian Bilston to her Facebook page a week or two ago with the comment, "And I thought I was the only one!" Well, Mary, I can tell you with certainty that you are not ...

On Searching for a Book of Stamps
By Brian Bilston

Check in wallet
Check once more
Hunt through bag
Look in drawer

Feel coat pockets
Peer in pot
Rifle desk
Find them not

Shake out shoes
Lift up hat
Inspect fridge
Ask the cat

Scour the shelves
Peek in purse
Turn out cupboards
Swear & curse

Go to shop
Buy new stamps
Put in wallet
Next to stamps


I have long known that the surest way to find something I've lost is to buy a replacement. Works every time!

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming. 

Bilbo

5 comments:

Mike said...

Truth!

allenwoodhaven said...

This is great!

jenny_o said...

It never ceases to amaze me how I can look in one spot for something several times and not see it, yet eventually find it . . . right in that spot.

John A Hill said...

Yep

Anonymous said...

Old Upstate NYer goes to visit family in Boston. Goes to Fenway. Realize while in line to entrance that there’s a metal detector at gate. Give up my 50 year old Swiss Army pocket knife. It goes in trash. I’m thinking that I’ve got another back home. I’m sure I’ll find it right after I buy a replacement....