Sunday, August 27, 2023

Poetry Sunday


This past Tuesday we celebrated the birthday of poet, author, critic, and charter member of the famous Algonquin Round Table Dorothy Parker. She was known for her caustic wit and short, pithy poems ... like this one that summarizes her outlook on life ...

Observation
By Dorothy Parker

If I don't drive around the park,
I'm pretty sure to make my mark.
If I'm in bed each night by ten,
I may get back my looks again,
If I abstain from fun and such,
I'll probably amount to much,
But I shall stay the way I am,
Because I do not give a damn.

Dorothy Parker died in 1967, having actually given a damn about many things. I wish I'd known her.


Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

1 comment:

Mike said...

Even in death, there was controversy surrounding her...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Parker#Burial