Sunday, November 05, 2023

Poetry Sunday


It's the first Poetry Sunday of the month, and it's appropriate to call out the eleventh month as we get ready for what may be a tough winter in a very tough year ... 

In November
by Lisel Mueller

Outside the house the wind is howling
and the trees are creaking horribly.
This is an old story
with its old beginning,
as I lay me down to sleep.
But when I wake up, sunlight
has taken over the room.
You have already made the coffee
and the radio brings us music
from a confident age. In the paper
bad news is set in distant places.
Whatever was bound to happen
in my story did not happen.
But I know there are rules that cannot be broken.
Perhaps a name was changed.
A small mistake. Perhaps
a woman I do not know
is facing the day with the heavy heart
that, by all rights, should have been mine.


Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

1 comment:

Mike said...

A butterfly flapped its wings in Mexico.