Friday, June 15, 2007

The Ultimate Dinner Party - Part 2

In my earlier post titled "The Ultimate Dinner Party, Part 1," I asked you to think about who you'd invite to a dinner party if you could have any guest, living or dead, at your table. My initial guest list consisted of Leonardo da Vinci, Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, Dorothy Parker, and Will Rogers. In a comment posted yesterday, one of my readers (using the clever screen name "Anonymous") has proposed his own list, intellectually aiming a bit higher than I did. Sitting at his table are:

Abraham,
Moses,
Vishnu,
Buddha,
Jesus,
Mohammed,
Martin Luther, and
Pope John Paul II.

In his comment, Anonymous writes "I'm going for the big answers! If I get the answers from these guys, I'll know everything I want to know about the universe."

There's a lot to be said for this guest list. Each of these individuals has been critical to the establishment and evolution of religion and ethical behavior in almost every corner of the world (although we must note that no figures representing African, native American, or other minor - meaning, not observed worldwide - indiginous religions are represented). These guests would indeed be able to discuss and debate the "big answers;" I'd be especially interested to hear Mohammed explain how he reconciles his concept of "God, the Merciful, the Compassionate" with a religion which honors violence and intolerance.

It would be a marvelous evening.

So, who would you invite, and why? If you like my guest list, or the list proposed by "Anonymous," what questions would you like to ask?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Have a good day and a great weekend. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

No comments: