Wednesday, February 12, 2014

We're Off to See the Blizzard


As the Starks say in "Game of Thrones," Winter is Coming.


Coming, hell ... it's been here, and it just won't leave, dadgummit.

Yes, we are awaiting the arrival this evening of the storm that is being viewed down in Georgia in mega-apocalyptic terms. Around here, we're expecting anywhere between 5 and 10 inches of snow. Or sleet. Or freezing rain. Or just rain. Or maybe nothing. Nobody quite knows yet, but bread, lunch meat, toilet paper, and DVDs at the local Red Box are all flying off the shelves in the usual flailing hysteria and hunkering down that accompanies the arrival of the merest flake of snow here in NoVa.



At least the miserable winter weather, whatever it turns out to be, gives ignorant dumbasses who don't understand science a chance to squawk that "global warming" is a godless liberal commie plot to destroy America. It gives children a chance to stay home from school, and parents the challenge of juggling work schedules to make sure those children are entertained and cared for on their unexpected holiday. And it balances out the bitching we'll be doing in six months when it's hotter than a Sofia Vergara pictorial.

Look at the bright side ... if you have to go out and drive in the snow, you will probably be in your enclosed car with the heater and defroster and (maybe) heated seats. You won't enjoy motoring like our grandparents (or great-grandparents) did ...


So, if you're in the path of the winter storm that's barreling across the South and up the East Coast, just suck it up. It'll be August soon enough, and you'll be wishing for some of that white stuff.

Trust me.

Have a good day. Stay warm and be careful out there. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Brrr...sounds cold.

Your opening sentence reminded me of the new Game of Thrones trailer I watched yesterday. I'm looking forward to that winter.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I am writing from my secret location where I will be free of this 12" we are to receive west of the city.
In my world there are palm trees, blue skies, 80 degree weather and I have a mai tai in my hand. Join me won't you?

Chuck the Grumpy Cat said...

We've been promised six inches. Guess what the joke around the office is.

Bilbo said...

Amanda - I just finished reading the last published book in the Game of Thrones series, and it's got some pretty graphic descriptions of apocalyptic snowfalls. I'm not quite looking forward to that!

Peggy - Agnes and I will be there!! I'll bring munchies.

Chuck - I can only imagine ...

Meredith said...

This is typical winter here. Too cold, too snowy, too long.

Mike said...

Warmer air is on the way. IT's supposed to get up to 40 is St. Louis for the next 5 days. 50 on Monday.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

The 12 in. of snow forecasted verges on the scary!

Atomic Dog said...

Warmer can't come soon enough. In the meantime I'll watch Sofia Vergara.