Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Have I Got a Deal for You!


Yesterday I finished reading The Age of American Unreason by Susan Jacoby. It took about twice as long to read as a book of its length normally would, because of the wealth of history and detail, and the power of the arguments.

Ms Jacoby articulately traces the history of America's tendency toward "anti-intellectualism," and its effect on our history, culture, and international relations. Stiff-necked "conservatives" and ivory-tower "liberals" are equally pilloried for their efforts to dumb down American education. She looks at educational fads (like the "Baby Einstein" DVD sets), the pernicious effect of video and the Internet on reading, and the decline of American's skills in math, geography, reading, writing, and conversation. And she doesn't think much of blogging as a substitute for any of these.

One of her most devastating arguments deals with the decline of writing in general, and the art of writing letters in particular. She writes,

"Future historians will look in vain for the kinds of letters that passed between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson; Gustave Flaubert and George Sand; Johannes Brahms and Clara Schumann; Hannah Arendt and Mary McCarthy; Lord Byron and everyone in his world. They will look in vain for traces of an intellectual life in which reading, writing, and conversing face-to-face are seamlessly linked in a way that facilitates deep connections among people who love ideas."

I have written here often enough about my love of writing letters, and about how little of it I do any more. Katherine can tell you that my once-awesome correspondence has been reduced in most cases to a single, multi-page, individualized Christmas letter that goes out only to about a dozen of my oldest and closest friends. At one time, I was churning out long, chatty letters to my friends and relatives at the rate of about five or six a week...and now it's down to one a year at Christmas. I could blame lack of time (which is true), and lack of feedback (since most people love receiving letters, but don't like answering them), but those are just evasions. The simple truth is that I've gotten lazy.

And so here's the deal I have for my blogging friends...

The first five of you who e-mail your snail-mail address to me (bilbo_the_blogger - at symbol - yahoo.com) will receive a personal, hand-written letter from yours truly, delivered directly to your mailbox by a real, uniformed letter carrier (we used to call them mailmen in a less gender-sensitive time). There's a catch, though: you have to promise to write back. You also have to promise to accept the fact that my handwriting is usually excellent at the top of the first page, but gets worse as it goes along.

Maybe together we can ensure that when Susan Jacoby issues a future reprint of her book, she can point to us as one small spark that tried to rekindle the dying art of correspondence. It was, after all, John Steinbeck who once began a letter to a friend with, "I have owed you this letter for a very long time, but my fingers have avoided the pencil as if it were an old and poisoned tool."

I have plenty of ink and lots of paper. Let's get started.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

12 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

OK..I sent you an email :)

Amanda said...

I just sent out my snail mail to you this morning. Unfortunately its not a long and chatty letter :(

My address is on the back of it but I'll send you an email too.

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

Typo - trying again!

Here's the problem. I hate to write. (you couldn't read it anyway) I print instead. And just like this reply I usually type them in Word to spell check and then cut and paste them. I LOVE computers and spell check. I would also rather type than write. (I pitched the last old typewriter we had so don’t go there)
So I’ll send you my snail mail (or fire/police department - party location) address. Then you may get a letter from my wife. She LOVES to write. And you can actually read her hand writing.

lacochran said...

I rite real good English. That chick, Susan, don't know me. Why she always talkin' 'bout me? She needs to get herself straight 4 she starts talking 'bout me. There ain't nothin' wrong with me or Amurrica. Was she on Dr. Phil?? I think I seen her.

Bilbo said...

Andrea, Amanda, and Mike - your letters will be coming soon.

Lacochran - I rekun it otter be eazy to rite to u!

John A Hill said...

My address is in your inbox. Expect a letter in return.

Anonymous said...

the
dumbing down
of america (& world)
is necessitated by need
of average people to keep pace with their leaders

just saying ;)

/t.

KKTSews said...

I'd love to get a letter, but REALLY, my handwriting is horrid. It used to be reasonably good...long before I became proficient on the keyboard and gave up writing.

I got a nice fountain pen for Christmas and I've tried to improve my handwriting since then, if only because it looks so much nicer to use a classy pen and have readable handwriting. Somehow, I know if I get around to writing you, you'd write back.
BTW, I am honored to have been one of the few getting your Christmas letter over the years!

Bilbo said...

Okay, I have four takers on the letter offer: Andrea, Amanda, Mike, and John. One spot left for any last-minute people. Don't everybody speak at once...I guess the thought of actually writing something is more frightening than I thought!

Katherine, you know that I usually word-process my letters, too, but these will be genuine, old-fashioned ink-on-paper epistles. You'll just have to wait for Christmas for yours, I guess!

/t - welcome! I think this is your first visit, but I recognize you from Serena Joy's blog. Hope you'll be back often.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I think I must be too late now.

Bilbo said...

Jean-Luc, you are not too late...if you want in on the letter-writing project, you will be the magic #5 - just e-mail me your address.