Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Satire and Disaster


We are all appalled at the scale of the natural disaster unfolding in Texas as Hurricane/Tropical Storm/Hurricane Again Harvey pounds the area with rain measured in feet rather than inches. The human and economic cost of this tragedy are almost beyond comprehension.

Such disasters reveal the best and the worst in us. Many persons are heroically coming to the rescue of their neighbors, even as a few take advantage of the situation to engage in looting and price gouging. And such disasters also provide us the opportunity to shine a light on the idiocy of some of our politicians and political views.

Yesterday, I reposted this satirical line from Gin and Tacos on my Facebook page:

"AP: Libertarian Party sends emergency shipment of 1 million bootstraps to Texas disaster areas."

To me, this was a classic, hilarious sendup of a political philosophy that has no place for compassion and sees no legitimate role for government - particularly the federal government - in disaster relief and mitigation. But not everyone saw it that way.

My friend Jeff, a proud and outspoken Texan (is there any other kind?), reacted with great anger. His comment on my Facebook post led off with an upraised middle finger emoji, and went on to say:

"Friends of mine lost their homes. Laugh it up and fuck off. Not a joke, Bill. Not a funny topic. Politics before everything I guess. Not with me along for the ride. You might reexamine your priorities, but that's your call. Bye."

Well, I guess I hit that nerve squarely.

Here's how I responded to Jeff's comment:

"You are right, Jeff. It's not a funny topic. I have friends in Houston that I care about as well. But whether you wish it or not, there's a political side to everything. For my part, I'm waiting to see if your Senator Cruz will be as insistent on offsets for federal disaster aid spending now as he was when Sandy hit New York. Pointing out the stupidity of various political points of view is something we both do, and it has nothing to do with the sympathy we have for those affected by this - or any - natural disaster."

Sympathy and satire are not mutually exclusive. Indeed, the way our leaders respond to human needs in the wake of a natural disaster - whether with compassion and open hands or with attempts to impose political agendas - suggests whether they deserve a standing ovation or satirical barbs. There's nothing wrong with lampooning those who exploit human suffering for political purposes, or political philosophies that are unfeeling and unforgiving.

My heart goes out to those whose lives and communities have been devastated by this terrible disaster. My brain will continue to point to the stupidity of politicians who use them as stalking horses for their concepts of the proper role of government.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A good response. And the bootstrap remark is well-taken.

Linda Kay said...

Political, I agree, living here in Texas. But the news media is also taking advantage and blowing things out of proportion, looking in from the outside. The volunteer response of Texans to help each other is a great example for the whole country.

Mike said...

The Sandy comparison can't be overemphasized.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

A nice satire.

allenwoodhaven said...

I certainly understand his sensitivity. When I was 15 I saw Tropical Storm Agnes cause a flood, pretty much wiping out the city where I grew up. We had no power for many weeks but were lucky because we lived in the hills. I deeply and sincerely sympathize with their loss, understanding better than most how long a road they have to recovery. They need help and deserve it.

That said, there's always a place for good satire and this particular piece is great. Your response was excellent. I too want to see what Senator Cruz and his ilk do. I hope your friend Jeff eventually comes around; it may take awhile. With what he's facing, he deserves all the time he wants.

Mariette said...

Good satire, like yours, is needed nowadays. Too many pious platitudes.