Sunday, March 06, 2022

Poetry Sunday


Many are the days I enjoy looking at old photographs and reliving the memories of happier times. We usually have a rosy view of a past that was far more complicated than we choose to remember, but there is also joy and hope to be found there, if not the thousand clear answers to everything.

Among His Effects We Found a Photograph
by Ed Ochester

My mother is beautiful as a flapper.
She is so in love
that she has been gazing
secretly at my father
for forty years.
He's in uniform,
with puttees and swagger stick,
a tiny cork mustache
bobbing above a shoreline of teeth.
They are "poor but happy."
In his hand is a lost book
he had memorized,
with a thousand clear answers
to everything.

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. The weather will be beautiful here in NoVa, and I hope to enjoy it in the fresh air and sunshine; I hope you will be able to do the same.

More thoughts coming. 

Bilbo

2 comments:

allenwoodhaven said...

Very nice. Thanks!

Mike said...

I had to look up puttees.