Sunday, March 26, 2023

Musical Sunday


On Wednesday of this past week we celebrated the birthday of noted composer Andrew Lloyd Weber, whose musicals include such beloved hits as "Cats," "Jesus Christ, Superstar," and "Evita," among many others. For this week's Musical Sunday, we dip into another Weber musical for one of my all-time favorite songs ... from "The Phantom of the Opera," the classic song "The Music of the Night," performed by Gerard Butler in the 2004 movie version.


I have always found this song to be a near-perfect fusion of music and lyrics, the melody haunting and the lyrics profoundly beautiful and unsettling. This part, in particular, applies to the behavior of all too many people today ...

Close your eyes for your eyes will only tell the truth
And the truth isn't what you want to see
In the dark it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be


But enough about politics ... just enjoy the music.

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

4 comments:

Mike said...

You and I could go to the movies together but we would be watching different movies. 😄

River said...

That was lovely, I closed my eyes and listened. I used to have the Andrew Lloyd Weber soundtrack of songs from his shows, but I have no idea what happened to it. It certainly isn't here with me.

allenwoodhaven said...

Bilbo, I've not seen any posts since this March 26 one. Am I somehow blocked or are you taking a break?

Bilbo said...

Allen - you're not blocked ... I don't know what's going on.