Sunday, September 24, 2023

Poetry Sunday


As I look back on the broad sweep of my life, I recognize a lot of things that might have been. I never had a girlfriend like this one, but who knows what might have happened if I had?

Born Too Late
by Alan Harawitz

You could never be my girlfriend.
I was only fourteen
and you were a young woman,
seventeen years old.

But we were friends, maybe even more.
You would sing "Born Too Late"
over and over again as if it were a refrain
and not just the title of a hit song by The Ponytails.

I think you were flirting with me.
You even taught me how to kiss
so I would be ready when
I met someone who was right for me.

We would practice, lips only
and then French kiss:
"That's when you use your tongue," you said.

That was how we spent the summer 
at the beach in Far Rockaway.

I was too young to have a real girlfriend
and for some reason you never met anyone.

You told me how mature I was for my age
and then there was always "Born Too Late"
and you would laugh and say:

"Would you like to try that again?"


Maybe I would, if I'd had the chance.

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

3 comments:

jenny_o said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jenny_o said...

A much sweeter version of a somewhat similar story as "That Summer" by Garth Brooks. I like this one better :)

Mike said...

Born Too Late - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3mfPDSbl-4
It's been a long time since I heard this but when I read the title I could hear it in my head. Old brain cells sprung back to life.