The month of October this year has five Saturdays and four Sundays for us to use for our Halloween-themed Cartoon Saturdays and Poetry Sundays. Today is our first Poetry Sunday for the scary season, and we turn to American poet Carl Sandburg to paint the picture ...
Theme in Yellow
by Carl Sandburg
I spot the hills
With yellow balls in autumn.
I light the prairie cornfields
Orange and tawny gold clusters
And I am called pumpkins.
On the last of October
When dusk is fallen
Children join hands
And circle round me
Singing ghost songs
And love to the harvest moon;
I am a jack-o’-lantern
With terrible teeth
And the children know
I am fooling.
I hope you enjoyed this poem ... and I am not fooling.
Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend as we draw nearer to Halloween! More thoughts coming.
Bilbo

1 comment:
I've never read this Sandburg poem before -- thanks!
Post a Comment