Monday, June 07, 2021

Back in the (Blogging) Saddle Again



Those of you who've been patiently reading my blog since my first post on March 8, 2006, know that I posted more or less daily for most of that time. About 2 or 3 years ago, I decided to cut back my regular posting to Fridays (alternating the "Ass Clown Awards" with "Great Moments in Editing and Signage"), Saturdays (Cartoon Saturday) and Sundays (alternating Poetry and Music), with other posts on a random basis as I felt the urge to pontificate on something. I hadn't run out of ideas, but I'd sort of run out of steam.

Lately, though, I've been feeling the need to get back to more frequent posting ... maybe not every day, but perhaps two or three times during the week ... because the times are such that I have to either express myself or explode from frustration and anger at the rampant stupidity that's on the march and not being challenged.

So, Dear Readers, I'm back. If you've chosen to read this blog, chances are you mostly agree with my points of view, and I welcome your confirmation of my sanity*. But I also want to know when you disagree, too. Let me know if you think I'm wrong**, or misguided, or have ignored some aspect of the topic du jour that you think would lead me to change my mind. Do it ... it's good for both of us. 

But ...

If you leave a comment that's nothing more than an ad hominem attack, or that propagates without proof the lies and conspiracy theories of the moment, I'll cut you off in less time than it takes to say "Q." If you can't justify your position with reason, facts, and evidence, I'm not interested in anything you have to say. You've been warned.

Just a quick observation before I go ...

Der Furor has been suffering from a deficit of orgasmic adulation since Facebook and Twitter finally cut him off back in January. Not long ago, his office launched a much-ballyhooed "web presence" (a simple blog, actually) to allow him to communicate directly with his followers***. Like his presidency, the blog was pretty much a dismal failure, and after 29 days Der Furor shut it down because the more rational of his advisors told him it wasn't getting much traffic and was making him look "small and irrelevant."

This means that Der Furor, with the help a staff of flunkies and ghostwriters paid for by you and I from the generous pension and expense account he receives as a former president, couldn't publish a blog that would hold even an audience of MAGAts for more than 29 days. As of today, my blog - 100% written and edited by a staff consisting entirely of yours truly - has been in regular publication for 15 years, 2 months, and 3 days ... a total of 5570 days, or almost 200 times† longer than Der Furor's.

Which of us actually has ideas people are willing to read?

Have a good day, and watch this space for more frequent posts on the things that interest or upset me, which I think may interest or upset you as well. I look forward to your comments and ideas as we move warily into the great social, economic, and political unknown.

Bilbo

* Such as it is.

** I know my hawkeyed old friend Gonzo Dave will let me know of any typos.

*** I've heard it pithily described as a forum for people who don't read, by someone who can't write.

† Actually, 192.07 times, but who's counting?

4 comments:

Mike said...

Welcome back.... partially.

balanced a.f. said...

"small and irrelevant."- the truth hurts, doesn't it? Glad I stumbled on your blog.

John A Hill said...

I look forward to your more frequent ramblings and opinions.

Dave Peterson said...

Great. Now everybody knows my nickname. And that I can't help but alert you to typos. *sigh*

Welcome back!