Sunday, February 20, 2022

Poetry Sunday


This past week we celebrated Valentines Day, the day dedicated to the pursuit of lust ... uh ... love. It's the one day a year on which we're supposed officially to reflect on the reasons we love our significant others, or those we hope become our significant others. This year, Agnes and I will celebrate our 40th (gasp!) wedding anniversary and ponder the things we see in each other that we either love or ignore ...

I Married You
by Linda Pastan

I married you
for all the wrong reasons,
charmed by your
dangerous family history,
by the innocent muscles, bulging
like hidden weapons
under your shirt,
by your naive ties, the colors
of painted scraps of sunset.

I was charmed too
by your assumptions
about me: my serenity––
that mirror waiting to be cracked,
my flashy acrobatics with knives
in the kitchen.
How wrong we both were
about each other,
and how happy we have been.


I don't know whether my "innocent muscles bulged," but I do know that Agnes was repulsed by some of my clothing choices, and I think my family history is less "dangerous" than "colorful." For my part, I took the risk of marrying a lady well capable of those flashy acrobatics with knives in the kitchen ... and I'm still here.


Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend, hopefully with the one you love.

More thoughts coming. 

Bilbo

2 comments:

Mike said...

I think our connection was lust.

allenwoodhaven said...

I like it. And great cartoon!