Sunday, May 01, 2022

Poetry Sunday


My old friend Gonzo Dave sent me this poem a few weeks ago, figuring I would jump on it for a Poetry Sunday offering. He was right.
 
The Valuable Time of Maturity
By Mário de Andrade

I counted my years and discovered that I have 
less time to live going forward than I have lived until now. 

I have more past than future. 
I feel like the boy who received a bowl of candies. 
The first ones, he ate ungracious, 
but when he realized there were only a few left, 
he began to taste them deeply. 

I do not have time to deal with mediocrity. 
I do not want to be in meetings where parade inflamed egos. 

I am bothered by the envious, who seek to discredit 
the most able, to usurp their places, 
coveting their seats, talent, achievements and luck. 

I do not have time for endless conversations, 
useless to discuss about the lives of others 
who are not part of mine. 

I do not have time to manage sensitivities of people 
who despite their chronological age, are immature. 

I cannot stand the result that generates 
from those struggling for power. 

People do not discuss content, only the labels. 
My time has become scarce to discuss labels, 
I want the essence, my soul is in a hurry… 
Not many candies in the bowl… 

I want to live close to human people, 
very human, who laugh of their own stumbles, 
and away from those turned smug and overconfident 
with their triumphs, 
away from those filled with self-importance, 
Who does not run away from their responsibilities .. 
Who defends human dignity. 
And who only want to walk on the side of truth 
and honesty. 
The essential is what makes 
life worthwhile. 

I want to surround myself with people, 
who know how to touch the hearts of people …. 
People to whom the hard knocks of life, 
taught them to grow with softness in their soul. 

Yes …. I am in a hurry … to live with intensity, 
that only maturity can bring. 
I intend not to waste any part of the goodies 
I have left … 
I'm sure they will be more exquisite, 
that most of which so far I've eaten. 

My goal is to arrive to the end satisfied and in peace 
with my loved ones and my conscience. 
I hope that your goal is the same, 
because either way you will get there, too. 


Wouldn't it be nice if all of us could live with our consciences once the sands run out?

Have a good day and enjoy the rest of your weekend. More thoughts coming.

Bilbo

1 comment:

Mike said...

"I do not have time to manage sensitivities of people
who despite their chronological age, are immature."
HEY!!!